Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Poem for Wednesday and Halloween Shopping

A Lady Red - Amid the Hill
By Emily Dickinson

A Lady red -- amid the Hill
Her annual secret keeps!
A Lady white, within the Field
In placid Lily sleeps!

The tidy Breezes, with their Brooms --
Sweep vale -- and hill -- and tree!
Prithee, My pretty Housewives!
Who may expected be?

The Neighbors do not yet suspect!
The Woods exchange a smile!
Orchard, and Buttercup, and Bird --
In such a little while!

And yet, how still the Landscape stands!
How nonchalant the Hedge!
As if the "Resurrection"
Were nothing very strange!

--------

I did not get my laundry folded on Tuesday but I did get to have lunch at Tara Thai with Vertigo! Due to various scheduling issues, illness, and other conflicts, we haven't seen each other in months, and since her birthday is in a few days it was long overdue. It was a very pretty fall day, overcast but with moderate temperatures, so I walked around a bit in the shopping center afterward and went to Target to get laundry detergent...where I discovered that they now have the 2011 Halloween Barbies. And lots of other fun stuff.








Otherwise, it was not an eventful afternoon. The chipmunks and squirrels in my neighborhood are acting like crazy animals now that fall has arrived (in colors that get lovelier every day, now still mostly green with some reds but the orange-yellows are starting) -- they were racing through the woods and one dropped an acorn on my head. We had jacket potatoes for dinner and watched the Texas-Detroit game with a break for Ringer, which is holding my interest for now because I like three of the actors, but I'm ready for some sense in the overarching plot. Tomorrow, the laundry!

No comments: