Friday, January 13, 2012

Poem for Friday, DS9, Baltimore Egyptian Treasure

The Apparition
By John Donne

When by thy scorn, O murd'ress, I am dead
          And that thou think'st thee free
From all solicitation from me,
Then shall my ghost come to thy bed,
And thee, feign'd vestal, in worse arms shall see;
Then thy sick taper will begin to wink,
And he, whose thou art then, being tir'd before,
Will, if thou stir, or pinch to wake him, think
          Thou call'st for more,
And in false sleep will from thee shrink;
And then, poor aspen wretch, neglected thou
Bath'd in a cold quicksilver sweat wilt lie
          A verier ghost than I.
What I will say, I will not tell thee now,
Lest that preserve thee; and since my love is spent,
I had rather thou shouldst painfully repent,
Than by my threat'nings rest still innocent.

--------

I spent the day with Daniel -- I love his nice long winter break -- apart from having to get some work done in the morning, when he was still asleep anyway. I had to stop at a couple of stores on Rockville Pike so I invited him to Lebanese Taverna with me (I had not had grape leaves or baba ghanoush in weeks) and he played sudoku on his phone while I went into places like Ulta and Tiara Galleries. Then we stopped at CVS to get both kids toothpaste and shampoo -- and once again I forgot my reusable bag, but I retrieved one before paying.

At home we watched a bunch of Deep Space Nine, including "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost" which I hadn't watched since near when they aired. They blew me away -- it was like watching a Star Trek commentary on post-9/11 paranoia except the episodes were filmed before the attacks, one of several cases in which I feel like DS9 correctly predicted things that were going to occur in the early 21st century. On Friday I need to review "The Storyteller," not one of my favorites but I forgot how much Bashir/O'Brien love was in that! Here are some photos from the Walters Art Museum's Ancient Egyptian collection:

















Tomorrow Paul is coming home early so we can go see Jennifer Cutting's Ocean Orchestra perform at SiriusXM, for which I won tickets! Woohoo! Now I am watching Colbert announce that he might run for president and turning his SuperPAC over to Stewart...

No comments: