Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Poem for Tuesday and Black Rock Mill

A Lover
By Amy Lowell

If I could catch the green lantern of the firefly
I could see to write you a letter.

--------

Happy end of January! I'm sure I've mentioned that winter keeps getting lost around here, which frankly at this point is fine with me since the light is coming back in the evening and improving my mood immensely. On Monday, although it was in the 40s, it was bright and sunny all day, so although I had cats trying to sleep in my lap which made me sleepy in the early afternoon in turn, it was quite a nice day. I don't have a lot to report, since I had to get a bunch of work and chores done, but I don't have complaints either, other than some long distance shenanigans that, to quote Marvin the Paranoid Martian from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, will all end in tears.

Adam went home with his girlfriend after school and Paul picked him up, then we had leftover eggplant casserole for dinner and watched Sunday's Once Upon a Time which I had made us miss for the SAG Awards. Then we watched the Smash pilot which is free on Amazon Prime (I think it's on iTunes too). It's too soon for me to know whether I will love where the story is going and I don't love all the songs written for the show's Marilyn musical, but there was never any chance that I wasn't going to love a show about Broadway starring Anjelica Huston and Debra Messing accompanied by a scruffy-looking Jack Davenport. I enjoyed it immensely -- almost as much as Stephen Colbert stealing his SuperPAC back from Jon Stewart.

Here are some photos of the ruins of Black Rock Mill in Germantown, a grist mill on Seneca Creek that was eventually flooded out:















No comments: