Friday, April 06, 2012

Poem for Friday and Arlington Cemetery

Late Fragment
By Raymond Carver

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.

--------

Yet again we had a ridiculously beautiful weekday. Paul woke up not feeling great and I was being cautious because I just started taking medicine, so we got a slow start in the morning, but after lunch we picked up my father and went to Arlington National Cemetery, which was quite crowded with spring break visitors but still quite pretty with spring flowers and surprisingly peaceful...at least until a big police chase involving a helicopter and several vehicles nearly ran us over. We made a big loop from the eternal flame at John F. Kennedy's grave to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to the memorial amphitheater to the Maine and space shuttle memorials.


















We had Indian food for dinner and watched a Deep Space Nine episode, then this week's Awake, which I am really liking though I can't see how they can possibly sustain it beyond a single season without it veering into ridiculous territory. My only other news is sad, involving the cats having killed one of the baby mice that we've seen on the deck -- this one somehow got inside the house, something that has only happened twice since we've lived here -- and various political statements by Republicans that make me want to scream. Have a good Seder if you celebrate Passover and a peaceful Good Friday if you observe that!

No comments: