Thursday, April 12, 2012

Poem for Thursday and Changing of the Guard

Autopsy in the Form of an Elegy
By John Stone

In the chest
in the heart
was a vessel

was the pulse
was the art
was the love

was the clot
small and slow
and the scar
that could not know

the rest of you
was very nearly perfect.

--------

I did a lot of running around on Wednesday but I had fun and got a lot done, so it's all good. I had a bunch of work to finish in the morning, then I went to visit my Aunt Shirley at lunchtime -- I was going to bring her our Downton Abbey DVDs, but we couldn't figure out where we'd put them, so since she's a huge Pride and Prejudice fan I figured it would be safe to bring her The King's Speech instead. Considering that she is very frail and in her 90s, I am always astonished at how up she is on current events and what's on PBS. Speaking of current events, Florida: it's about time.

Then I went to Rockville Pike to get hair and kitchen stuff at Ulta and Tuesday Morning, and to grab hummus and pita at Lebanese Taverna. (I behaved and did not buy the Brighton turtle bracelet at Tiara, though let me tell you, I was tempted.) I thought I was very late getting home, but younger son had tech till after 5 p.m. and Paul beat him home. There were at least four deer in the woods when I took a walk before dinner. We watched the first two episodes of the new season of The Borgias, then watched the Orioles lose to the Yankees in extra innings, boo.

Some photos from Virginia last week, watching the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery:















No comments: