Monday, May 27, 2013

Poem for Monday and Virginia Renfaire

Panels for the Walls
By Cedar Sigo

Leave the long fall between us (peak after peak)
Here were my paints and there were my powders
And then I was drunk and we lost each other
My shadow tumbled after
Soaking cinnamon leaves in the lake of the moon
The roll of the damned drum calls me to duty
The dice in the light of the lamp
I hear a stone gong
I lean full weight on my slender staff
Yellow leaves shaken and petals confused to my garden
The hard road is written to music
How lovely locks, in bright mirrors, in high chambers
The moon shows further a gold and silver terrace
The northern grass is blue as jade
(A dream) venting in the pit of heaven

--------

The weather was perfect on Sunday and we spent it at the Virginia Renfaire, which is having Pirate Weekend! We drove down after lunch (Adam was going to a funeral with his girlfriend, a crew coach passed away, they are having a really rough couple of weeks) and met and Lin at Lake Anna Winery, where we did not buy any wine until we were leaving but we got to see lots of musical groups including Ship's Company, meet the Queen and Captain Jack, eat cheesecake on a stick, and see lots of animals including horses, rescue dogs, alpacas, ducklings, and a falcon. We have none of this year's cicadas in my area but they were all around the winery making phaser-type noises in the trees!


With Delta, Lin and Queen Elizabeth.


Delta with one of the Brood II cicadas...


...and Adam threatening to eat one.


Me and Captain Jack aka TallPirate.


Ship's Company performing on the Woodland Stage.


Me feeding an alpaca...


...and the alpacas out for a walk.


Hungry ducklings.

Since we were near Fredericksburg, we went to Carlos O'Kelly's for dinner. When we got home we watched the first hour of the national Memorial Day concert (thankfully Alfie Boe sang during that part), then the final episode of Smash (which had a great opening but there's really nothing at this point that I'll miss, characters less mature than those on Glee, if I'd never seen a Broadway musical I'd never believe from this show that any of them were worth my money), then HBO's Liberace movie, which is almost too horrifying for words (Douglas, Damon, Bakula, and Lowe give amazing performances, but I think even the characters on Smash are more sympathetic). Have a good Memorial Day if you celebrate it!

No comments: