Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Poem for Wednesday and Maryland Zoo Penguins

From '3 Bewildered Landscapes'
By Joanna Klink

STARS, SCATTERSTILL. Constellations of people and quiet.

Those nights when nothing catches, nothing also is artless.

I walked for hours in those forests, my legs a canvas of scratches,

trading on the old hopes—we were meant to be lost. But being lost

means not knowing what it means. Inside the meadow is the grass,

rich with darkness. Inside the grass is the wish to be rooted, inside the rain

the wish to dissolve. What you think you live for you may not live for.

One star goes out. One breath lifts inside a crow inside a field.

--------

I had a lot of chores to catch up on Tuesday, so I don't have a lot of excitement to report except that, now that it's on VOD, I have seen Mad Max: Fury Road. It is in pretty much every way not my kind of movie apart from having some terrific performances and really interesting female protagonists (apart from marketing, I am not sure why the film is called Mad Max when it's so much more Furiosa's story). Theron and Hardy are fantastic and I liked the female bonding, but I am really glad I did not see all that violence on the big screen!

Am hopefully almost done fighting with Google Drive (am over my temptation to switch to Dropbox, having read articles about Dropbox's issues with Amazon S3) and am wondering: if one has saved a full web page with graphics, is there any reason (layout etc.) that one can't throw out all the .js files that get included? Those are all tracking, advertising, etc., yes? I would love to clean up some of the garbage on here. Meanwhile, here are some of the inhabitants of the Maryland Zoo's Penguin Coast whom we visited on Saturday!
















No comments: