Sunday, May 13, 2018

Poem for Sunday, Spider-Man 3, Great Falls Encampment

Heredity
By Louis De Paor

There's no denying
the blood that goes through me
from my mother's side,
leaving one snarled tooth
in the roof of my mouth,
an itching-post in the field
of my thoughts, an ogham stone
that shouts me down
with its unintelligible alphabet.

I put my swollen thumb
under the tooth of knowledge,
and the stone speaks up
from the underworld of my thoughts:
You were always a black sheep
like all belonging to you,
hard words like grains of sand
in the corner of an eyelid
shut tight as an oyster.

When a blade of light
prises it open,
there's a tooth askew
in my son's mouth.
It shines like a pearl
in his perfectly crooked smile.

--------

We got up reasonably early for a Saturday because we knew it was supposed to be miserably hot, then very stormy later in the day, so after breakfast and some morning chores, we went to Great Falls to hike and see if there were goslings there. We didn't anticipate how many people would be around since we didn't realize it was one of the weekends when the 20th Maine Regiment was reenacting a Civil War encampment, so we only saw a few goslings, but we saw many herons in the river and canal, some turtles, some frogs, even a snake!

DSCN7212

DSCN7290

2018-05-12 12.49.17

2018-05-12 12.49.36

DSCN7259

DSCN7253

DSCN7239

DSCN7319

2018-05-12 11.53.46

I dragged Paul to a Latias raid on the way home (caught on both accounts, so it was worth it), we stopped at Au Bon Pain to get baguettes and chocolate croissants, then we came home for lunch. In the afternoon we ran out to Giant to get cat food ahead of the thunderstorm. After dinner we watched Spider-Man 3 with Cheryl -- I had remembered that one as being pretty bad but Adam assured me there were good memes from it. And Daniel, who never cared about driving, finally took and passed his driving test!

No comments: