Monday, September 27, 2004

Poem for Monday


Sonnet 91
By William Shakespeare


Some glory in their birth, some in their skill,
Some in their wealth, some in their bodies' force,
Some in their garments, though new-fangled ill,
Some in their hawks and hounds, some in their horse;
And every humour hath his adjunct pleasure,
Wherein it finds a joy above the rest:
But these particulars are not my measure;
All these I better in one general best.
Thy love is better than high birth to me,
Richer than wealth, prouder than garments' cost,
Of more delight than hawks or horses be;
And having thee, of all men's pride I boast:
Wretched in this alone, that thou mayst take
All this away and me most wretched make.

--------


Have spent an enjoyable if tiring afternoon at the Maryland Renaissance Festival with my sons, four friends of theirs, and my mother. Rather than try to recap, I shall illustrate it.


English knights parading before the court at the tournament grounds.


Wolgemut's Renaissance rock show on the Lyric Stage. There were lots of bagpipes today, despite the pirate theme.


The Bloody Drama at the Globe Theatre, performing The Frog Prince, Hansel and Gretel and an alphabet improv with audience help.


Kids shooting ping pong balls with crossbows at holes in a screen. Of the six kids we had with us, not one got a single one of their five balls through.


The Rogues on the Jury Rig Stage, where we also (as you can guess from the sign) saw Hack & Slash. The Rogues were great but I found Hack & Slash disappointing, especially after having been to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire and having seen Don Juan and Miguel, who had funnier jokes, were less full of themselves and did more interesting things with the whip.


Sir Henry Clifford riding to present the heart he just speared to the Queen. This man rides beautifully but none of my actual jousting photos came out very well, as I was at an angle when I was close to them and then behind a lot of people when I was nearer the center of the grounds. I refer everyone to 's journal for a comprehensive account of the jousting at this Faire.


Sir Nicholas Carew after his own pre-joust display of accuracy. , I have more pictures of your boys but I am terrified I don't have all of their names right!


Michael Rosman, the Squire of the Wire, about to juggle knives and a flaming torch above the heads of his audience. In a kilt. (Though he claimed he wore it in the traditional manner, I ran into him at dinnertime and he said in fact he had several pairs of boxers on, heh.)


Fight School II: Reloaded. These guys are talented, informative and hilarious -- I know things about how to use a dagger to defend oneself against a rapier that I never knew before, and I got to see the two guys on the ends here have a lirpa fight right out of "Amok Time" only without the ripped shirt. Definitely a highlight of the day for all parties involved.

-------- And since it's a related subject: --------

gypsy
You are a Gypsy! Dancing and parties are your kinda
thing! You like having fun all the time and
never seem to be in the same place twice. You
have an interesting outlook on life, but
usually do all your living at night by the
fires of the gypsy camps. You entice people
with stories and song, its never a dull moment
with you around.

What Renaissance Type Woman are you? (with pics)
brought to you by Quizilla


Shall endeavor later to describe the food (lots of turkey legs, desserts on a stick and bottles of water), the party favors (wooden swords) and the trouble they caused, the minimal window shopping, the street musicians...hope everyone has had a good Sunday!

No comments: