Saturday, January 28, 2006

Poem for Saturday


since feeling is first...
by ee cummings


since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are a better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
- the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for each other; then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis

--------

There's the follow-up cummings to "somewhere i have never travelled" that I promised the other day. I suppose I should do "i carry your heart" next.


Had a quiet day after anticipating a busy one. I was supposed to drive to Tacoma Park to interview a local folk singer I adore, but we got our signals crossed and by the time we made contact, it was too late...hopefully I will do the interview next week! I don't absolutely have to do it in person, phone would be fine, but she invited me to her studio and I really do not want to pass up this opportunity! Friday afternoon is always trouble in terms of getting babysitting, and this week it was chaos kids-wise; younger son was supposed to bring a friend home with him, but friend was in trouble with his parents and son last saw him being dragged away from school being yelled at. Meanwhile I had told older son he had to walk home so I didn't have to make younger son and his friend sit and wait at the bus stop for him, and it's a good thing I didn't try to pick him up at the usual time because his bus broke down; he was more than an hour late by the time I did pick him up.

Friday Fivers didn't interest me this week so I am sparing everyone. I am 46% gay, which is 10 % gayer than from whom I swiped the quiz...sounds about right! I got to talk to her today too, although by that time I was disorganized from having the interview postponed so I will not actually get to see her till next week. Instead I spent my early afternoon writing a review of "The Doomsday Machine", one of the many gems of the original Star Trek's second season, written by Spinrad, swiped from Saberhagen, with a great guest star turn and a bunch of classic lines...what more could anyone ask for? I also wrote the site columns, which involved summarizing my movie blather from here.

Tonight we sat down and watched The Mission, the movie with the greatest original soundtrack in the history of motion pictures as far as I'm concerned (I am of course not counting Amadeus). We half-watched it a couple of weekends ago but the kids were distracted, I was doing laundries and younger son had specifically asked to see it again, so I wasn't about to argue. I hadn't seen it literally in decades and was surprised both how much I remembered and how well it held up. I was amused how much The Mission had in common with Kingdom of Heaven and I don't just mean Jeremy Irons and Liam Neeson as noble religious men struggling against corrupt ones. It had the same Good Church vs. Bad Church considerations, where the Bad Church is all about money and political influence while the Good Church is about spirituality, protecting local people, building churches and trying to decide what Jesus would do even if there's disagreement about whether that would be taking up arms or turning the other cheek. I didn't have any idea who Liam Neeson was when I last saw the movie, so it was a real treat to see him, Irons and Robert De Niro playing priests. (The urge to expound on the potential homoeroticism between Gabriel and Rodrigo is overwhelming, not to mention Gabriel and Fielding or Rodrigo and Fielding...please stop me.)


A campfire made by a scouting group at Gulf Branch Park...


...and the stream there, whose bank leads from the nature center to a field and playground.


We had Shabbat dinner with my parents, with whom we are going -- as well as my in-laws -- to the aquarium in Baltimore Saturday, since none of us have yet seen the Australia exhibit. Apparently we may be going out to dinner afterward. I am hoping to get to walk around the harbor a little, too.

No comments: