Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Poem for Tuesday


Mad Girl's Love Song
By Sylvia Plath


I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

The stars go waltzing out in blue and red,
And arbitrary blackness gallops in:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

God topples from the sky, hell's fires fade:
Exit seraphim and Satan's men:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I fancied you'd return the way you said,
But I grow old and I forget your name.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

I should have loved a thunderbird instead;
At least when spring comes they roar back again.
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

--------


Okay, I have a confession: I didn't really think I was going to like Stargate Atlantis all that much. I mean, I've seen beginnings and endings of episodes before and after Doctor Who and they all seem to end with a sort of clunk, like the storyline has to be wrapped up with a tag like the original Star Trek used to do, and while many of the guys were pretty cute, it seemed like the woman playing Weir couldn't really act and I just sort of wasn't grabbed by fragments the way I was with Doctor Who itself. But I really loved the pilot! Despite never having seen an episode of SG-1 (I saw the James Spader movie ages ago, and now I might need to see a couple of episodes just because Michael Shanks does Spader-as-Daniel so damn well), it was easy to follow and everyone in the cast had nice chemistry and Joe Flanigan is adorable. And I have the whole first season to watch over the summer, so I am happy! I may be mooching bootleg season two before long. *G*

Also, one is always fed very well at 's house and candles and a cat sleeping on the couch (she was "sick" today and I had to keep her company *veg*). So I had a lovely afternoon! Then came home to get kids -- older son had fencing tonight, and our usual carpool was off because the other boy had twisted his ankle. Had a quiet evening trying to catch up on comments and fiddling with photos, watching a special on Frank Lloyd Wright and Fallingwater that hubby was recording and making a Celtic mix CD. My thrilling life! Also I wrote articles on the latest Star Trek: New Voyages casting news and what John Billingsley has been up to for TrekToday. Oh, and I forgot to link this weekend to The Green Man Review, for whom I reviewed The Da Vinci Code (I had also reviewed the book back when it first came out for GMR, here, before there was any hype at all, a side benefit of which is that I have a first printing copy with the typos that apparently some fans will pay more than it's worth to get). I also reviewed Why Buffy Matters, one of too many mediocre academic studies of fans, fandom and television -- in this one the writer claims that Sarah Michelle Gellar has a "symbiotic relationship" with her costume designer, yet the fact that this is a commercial show on commercial television produced to sell commercial products gets repeatedly repressed.

Oh, speaking of commercial entertainment, I overheard a hilarious one-sentence review of The Break-Up from the guy sitting behind me at the baseball game this weekend, whose wife had apparently convinced him to go see the movie even though he was dubious and surprised he liked it: "He's funny, and she looks good naked." Ahahaha, I can definitely wait for this one on DVD if at all! Here, from Glen Echo Park where the Washington Folk Festival was held this weekend, some pictures of the carousel, the only remaining working ride (more here and here, including an image of the park the year it closed):









Tuesday younger son's class is having a demonstration on energy-efficient houses, so I will be off in the morning learning about it! Happy 6/6/06. Landover Baptist has an article about what to do if you have a baby today and need to know if it's the spawn of Satan. *g*

No comments: