Monday, January 01, 2007

Poem for Monday


A Good Year Down
By Jeni Olin


New York will not accept me at this weight &
Mothers of the disappeared don’t come ‘round
Here anymore. I said you’re housekeeping aren’t you
With Lipton tea stains & the Establishment
Seriously attracted. He said: No
I’m turning down the beds. Now it’s my turn
In bed with a beautiful American rage
Like brunettes with night sweats. My love
Semiprecious & stoned
In the shoulder season we hold on
Though I am dismal & have no dope
Siphoned off behind pink Easter
I fake an optimism
Just to breathe—Just thinking of him for once &
The Wandering Jew that ate my sunshine
But I know flowers like Zorro was my dad
Those garlands of thin hissing lasers
So with the “sexy isotherms
Of semiotics” we meet again at the Kiev
To check chemistry. They bring the lights
Down on those cherry pies & like cryogenics
It sorta works. This time my love
The salt doll of night egging us on
Straight to the zeppelin mooring
With she-has-a-bit-of-the-neardamned-in-her-
Like-when-a-cloud-dies construed as
Well, all right, I’ve seen worse.

--------


Happy New Year! Our original plan for Sunday involved going to the Corcoran Gallery and National Geographic, but we were intimidated by reports of traffic all over DC as people went to see Gerald Ford lying in state, so we elected to avoid the District. Instead we spent the afternoon at Great Falls in Virginia, where the water was higher than the last time we were there and relatively few people were on the overlooks and hiking the trails to Matildaville, the ruins of the town along the old canal. Then in the late afternoon we went on an unsuccessful quest for an extra Wii nunchuck, which left me with a splitting headache (electronics stores, malls and mall parking lots the week between Christmas and New Year's are whatever the opposite of peace on earth, goodwill toward men would be).


A kayaker fights the current upstream in the Potomac River.


The woods were rather bleak around the Matildaville ruins.


The sky was overcast but it didn't rain till after dark, making it a gorgeous afternoon.


People were actually obeying the "stay on the trails" signs now that there are new overlooks and walkways.


There weren't many tourists, but there were people riding horses and lots of people walking dogs.

If you build it, cruisedirector will come.

Which movie was this quote from?

Get your own quotes:


Kevin Costner wants me! Also, Russell Crowe wants me!

Father to a murdered son. Husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my cruisedirector, in this life or the next.

Which movie was this quote from?

Get your own quotes:


The weather held until late in the evening, cool and gorgeous, and we had Mexican food for dinner and then ice cream sundaes, chips and various junk while waiting up with kids for the ball to drop. Football seems endless at this time of year...I watched the Green Bay game on and off believing they had a chance of getting into the playoffs if they could beat Chicago, only to discover that the Giants victory had shut them out decisively and the game didn't mean anything, anyway. Now we have Dick Clark on...I like when some institutions don't change no matter the year!

No comments: