Saturday, March 21, 2009

Poem for Saturday

A Spring View
By Tu Fu
Translated by Witter Bynner


Though a country be sundered, hills and rivers endure;
And spring comes green again to trees and grasses
Where petals have been shed like tears
And lonely birds have sung their grief.
   ...After the war-fires of three months,
One message from home is worth a ton of gold.
   ...I stroke my white hair. It has grown too thin
To hold the hairpins any more.

--------

A blessed Ostara. Yeah, I'm still behind on comments and e-mails and everything. That's what the weekend is for, unless it's nice out and we end up going out...well, and on Sunday we're going to see the production of Sweeney Todd at my son's high school, and tomorrow we may go to museums in Baltimore or we may go to the Super Pet Expo (husband swears he was not googling Superpoke Pets but we are not sure we believe him, hee). My allergies are bothering me and I've had a headache all day, but the upside of this is that there are forsythia and daffodils and dogwood coming into bloom. I shall try to get photos over the weekend.



I did write a review of "Qpid", which has only grown more enjoyable with time, since Vash no longer annoys me -- I've liked her better and better with time -- and the sheer silliness of it, combined with the shameless homoeroticism, makes me smile. Much more than the ongoing Dead Woman Syndrome of The Sarah Connor Chronicles and the sheer stupidity of Battlestar Galactica, which should have ended with the mid-season shocker and not X-Filed itself into pretentious irrelevancy. Or perhaps I should say even more hyperbolic pretentious irrelevancy.

Spoilers: Oh, fine, they're NOT all Cylons, instead they're all us -- but that still doesn't make an iota of sense -- Starbuck as a Cylon had a perverse logic, but Starbuck as an ANGEL? Coached by her dad? Spouting tripe like, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Lee"? Did no one on this writing staff ever read Asimov's admonition that you never end a story with them landing on a planet and meeting some woman named Eve? And now Baltar IS God, after his incredibly arrogant smarmy shitheaded "I don't belong to you, you appropriated me" to Paula...he was the one person I really wanted to see die, but of course we have to kill more women instead because that's our M.O., isn't it, MooreRon! That's right, snap that evil bitch Tori's neck! Even though Callie was a lying cheating little twat who would have killed herself and her child anyway! And let poor poooooor Galen walk away free and feeling justified!

And putting aside the abandonment by everyone of Lee Adama, who I guess we're supposed to think deserves it for trying to frack his brother's girlfriend all those years ago before he knew she was a FRACKING DISAPPEARING ANGEL, Bill Adama is planning to live out his remaining days talking to Laura's grave instead of seeing his son again? I thought it was stupid but sappy when it looked like he was going to take that ship up and fly it into the sun so he can Laura could die together -- heck, I wrote Janeway/Chakotay AU New Earth fanfic where they did just that, which doesn't mean that it's a good idea but it has a Twilight sort of romantic excess...maybe I should have gone to one of those DVD release parties. Staying alive and a hermit, though, just seems kind of psychotic. The other great love of Bill's life, Saul, is still out there, and Ellen's clearly used to sharing her husband already. I could go on and on, but I'll just say, it was about as bad as I expected, except where it was worse, and there wasn't a single moment when it was better except when Starbuck ordered Sharon not to tell Boomer the plan!

The Friday Five: It's the "stranded on a desert island" question! You can only take one thing from each category. What is it and why are you taking it?
1. A food that can be planted and regrown.
Tea, because I don't know how to make chocolate from the beans.
2. A person you haven't seen in a long time. My grandmother. Who died twenty years ago.
3. A book you (were) read as a child. Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time.
4. A celebrity. To be stranded with? You must be kidding me.
5. The entire episode run of a television show (it's a very nice desert island). Do I get all the Star Treks or just one?

Fannish 5: List 5 storylines that were never really resolved to your satisfaction.
1.
Janeway/Chakotay/Seven of Nine.
2. Pick an X-Files arc -- aliens? angels? William? I could go on and on.
3. Pretty much everything from the last season of La Femme Nikita from why Madeline killed herself to how Operations dealt with it to why Nikita thought she and Michael couldn't be together with her, working with her and keeping his son safe.
4. The secret alien society Lionel Luthor, Genevieve Teague et al were part of to look for aliens.
5. Does anyone want me to get started again on Battlestar Galactica? I thought not.

No comments: