Thursday, September 24, 2009

Poem for Thursday

A Yes-or-No Answer
By Jane Shore


Have you read The Story of O?
Will Buffalo sink under all that snow?
Do you double-dip your Oreo?
Please answer the question yes or no.

The surgery—was it touch-and-go?
Does a corpse's hair continue to grow?
Remember when we were simpatico?
Answer my question: yes or no.

Do you want another cup of joe?
If I touch you, is it apropos?
Are you certain that you're hetero?
Is your answer yes or no?

Did you lie to me, like Pinocchio?
Was forbidden fruit the cause of woe?
Did you ever sleep with that so-and-so?
Just answer the question: yes or no.

Did you nail her under the mistletoe?
Will you spare me the details, blow by blow?
Did she sing sweeter than a vireo?
I need an answer. Yes or no?

Are we still a dog-and-pony show?
Shall we change partners and do-si-do?
Are you planning on the old heave-ho?
Check an answer: Yes o No o.

Was something blue in my trousseau?
Do you take this man, this woman? Oh,
but that was very long ago.
Did we say yes? Did we say no?

For better or for worse? Ergo,
shall we play it over, in slow mo?
Do you love me? Do you know?
Maybe yes. Maybe no.

--------

Daniel has definitely shared his cold with me, sigh. And zinc, I keep rediscovering, makes me feel worse instead of better...maybe it's kept my sinuses clearer than they might otherwise be, but it makes me feel like my tongue is swelling and that in turn makes me gag, which upsets my stomach. So I stayed home and drank tea and finished my rather wordy review of The Lost Symbol for the Green Man Review, then I folded laundry while watching the Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical because 1) Sarah Michelle Gellar just had a baby so I was reading about her and 2) the other night I dreamed a friend of mine might be marrying Anthony Stewart Head. I feel robbed that BtVS was on at the same time as The X-Files, La Femme Nikita, and so many other shows with awesome women that I failed to appreciate it properly. Now, with Twilight and Heroes flapping around, I really miss Buffy.

Since I have nothing significant to report otherwise, here is a meme for which Dementordelta tagged me. The rules are that if you've been tagged, you must write your answers in your own LJ and replace any questions that you dislike with a new, original question, and then you must tag eight sexy people. I hate tagging people, so if you like memes, consider yourself tagged, and if you don't, consider yourself off the hook!

Who sleeps in bed next to you? Paul, often with cat(s) between us.

What's one of the strangest things that has ever happened to you? I got a paying job in which one of the advertised requirements was "expertise in Star Trek" and where my first interview question was, "Who's a better captain, Kirk or Picard?"

What kind of magazines do you read? Outdoor Photographer, Smithsonian, Astronomy, Entertainment Weekly, to name a few.

If you could see one band in concert right now, any band, dead or alive, which would it be? The Beatles. Preferably all alive now in 2009 and friends again.

What's really creepy? People who don't think they need to warn for dub-con and chan.

Name one odd item within five feet of you. The Touchstone Tarot.

What's your current fandom/obsession/addiction? Evidently Paul Gross, since I am liking Eastwick better than Glee and feeling vaguely guilty about it.

Where would you like to go right now if you had enough money? Cornwall.

What are you most excited for? To see whether the world actually ends when the Mayan calendar suggests it will.

What websites do you always visit when you go online? Gmail, Facebook, LiveJournal, Twitter.

What was the last thing you bought? A mini-photo book (free except for shipping, which is why I bought it).

What's your favorite season? The one that started yesterday -- autumn.

Does the weather affect your mood? The light or lack thereof much more than the temperature or storms.

What is your zodiac sign? Sagittarius, Scorpio rising.

Do you want to learn another language? I wish I could speak French as well as I can read it, and I wish I knew as much Spanish as my son does.

5 Things (not people) you can't live without? Cell phone, laptop, car, refrigerator, pillow.

Do you have any siblings? One younger sister.

What's something you'd like to say someone right now? I told you so.

What's your earliest memory? Playing with my grandmother on the blue rug in our house in Silver Spring, from which we moved in 1972.

Say something to the person who tagged you. Pennsylvania Renfaire next weekend!!!


One of the pigs at Homestead Farm last weekend.


Adam with two baby goats.


The turkey in the hen house.


A goat traipsing across the goat walk.


Adam with Elmo the calf.


Apples coming ripe on the trees.


Bees enjoying someone's discarded apple peel in the orchard.


Seasonal gourds for sale in the farm store.


So I may as well confess: I enjoyed Eastwick more than Glee tonight. That is not to say that I think Eastwick is better in any quantifiable way -- certainly it doesn't have uniqueness or originality going for it. In fact, it is possible that it has nothing going for it besides Paul Gross, which I am embarrassed to admit may be enough for me at the moment. But I like the fact that the main characters are adult women, that even the ditziest of those women annoys me less than the two women competing for Will's attention -- it's very sad that the teens seem more mature than the ostensible grownups, though I suppose that's the convention on teen shows -- and I love the set design on Eastwick, the town, the art fair, the glimpses of pagan iconography. I reserve the right to despise the series eventually as much as I hate the book and film that preceded it, but right now I'm happy to have it on!

No comments: