Friday, December 03, 2010

Poem for Friday and Folger Henry VIII Exhibit

Astrophel and Stella: XXXI
By Philip Sidney


With how sad steps, O Moon, thou climb'st the skies!
How silently, and with how wan a face!
What, may it be that even in heav'nly place
That busy archer his sharp arrows tries!
Sure, if that long-with love-acquainted eyes
Can judge of love, thou feel'st a lover's case,
I read it in thy looks; thy languish'd grace
To me, that feel the like, thy state descries.
Then, ev'n of fellowship, O Moon, tell me,
Is constant love deem'd there but want of wit?
Are beauties there as proud as here they be?
Do they above love to be lov'd, and yet
Those lovers scorn whom that love doth possess?
Do they call virtue there ungratefulness?

--------

I had a very lovely day with Gblvr, who accompanied me to celebrate Cidercupcakes' conversion to Judaism! She is the first person I've known who decided to convert where an impending marriage wasn't an issue, so it's been interesting for me, as a heretical Goddess-oriented Jew myself, to follow her progress, and I adore her rabbi even though I've never met her. We had lunch at Lebanese Taverna with Cidercupcakes' mother, Fox1013, and Inlovewithnight, and though I've known the latter two online for a while, I'd never met either before, so we had lots of entertaining fangirl chat as well as religious and holiday-related conversation. Since we were in downtown Silver Spring, and I also stopped in Ulta, where I put on more blue eyeshadow than I've worn since eighth grade and scared my family when I got home.

Older son did not have nearly as good a day; his backpack was swiped right out from under him at lunch, and although school security quickly recovered it, whoever took it stole all the money in his wallet (nearly $80), his phone, and his flash drive. We've already replaced the latter and have told him repeatedly how dumb it is to carry so much cash around, but the phone is going to be a real pain to replace. Evening was quiet around here -- watched the $%!# My Dad Says rerun, then the Wikileaks episode of Nikita, which was very entertaining -- timely storyline, Nikita way ahead of Division, and the Darth Vader promotion ceremony by Percy really made me laugh. It goes without saying that I want John McCain to fall permanently into a giant trash can. Also, I am psyched about the arsenic-based life form -- the Horta will be next!


An English translation of Thomas More's Utopia at the Folger Shakespeare Library's Henry VIII exhibit. Originally published in Latin in 1516, Utopia made the case among other things for educating women equally with men.


Henry also read The Boke Named the Governour by Sir Thomas Elyot, written in 1531 by a knight to impress his king with his abilities as a potential counselor.


Articles devisid by the holle consent of the kynges moste honourable counsayle is credited to Henry VIII himself, a piece of propaganda published in 1533 to declare the official positions on the King's marriage to Anne Boleyn and position as head of the Church of England. It declares that the Pope is a heretic.


This calf-bound volume contains Henry VIII's letters answering Martin Luther, who had ranted against Henry's failure to embrace the Reformation. Henry mocks Luther and accuses him of pride and envy.


Anne of Cleves gave this prayer book to Henry. The illustrations show Salisbury Cathedral.


Thomas Trevelyon's 1608 Miscellany -- a history of England since the beginning of time -- shows Henry with his familiar reddish beard.


A new year's gift roll from 1539 listing the presents given by Henry to his children, his dukes and earls, and the bishops. It also lists gifts received by the king -- everything from greyhounds from the Marquis of Dorset to a silk shirt from Lord Richard Grey.


Francis Bacon's 1622 biography of Henry VII, decorated with symbols of his power like the Tudor rose and the orb and scepter.

No comments: