Friday, April 29, 2011

Poem for Friday and Neighborhood Spring

Spring Wedding
By Andrew Motion


I took your news outdoors, and strolled a while
In silence on my square of garden-ground
Where I could dim the roar of arguments,
Ignore the scandal-flywheel whirring round,

And hear instead the green fuse in the flower
Ignite, the breeze stretch out a shadow-hand
To ruffle blossom on its sticking points,
The blackbirds sing, and singing take their stand.

I took your news outdoors, and found the Spring
Had honoured all its promises to start
Disclosing how the principles of earth
Can make a common purpose with the heart.

The heart which slips and sidles like a stream
Weighed down by winter-wreckage near its source -
But given time, and come the clearing rain,
Breaks loose to revel in its proper course.

--------

That poem was actually written for Charles and Camilla's wedding; I couldn't find Carol Ann Duffy's poem for William and Kate online anywhere. Maybe in the morning (yes, I am getting up at 6, and shut up, I bet a lot of you stayed up for the NFL draft).

I let Paul have the van with working air conditioning again, so it was another quiet day -- "quiet" being relative since we had several big thunderstorms, plus a tornado warning for the area as the kids were leaving for school. The heat, at least, had broken, and after lunch I took a nice long walk in the woods surrounded by fallen crabapple blossoms, inchworms hanging from trees, and azaleas in full bloom. Plus I watched the adaptation of Camille that Colin Firth is in; he's good, but she is the one who's really memorable, despite an uneven screenplay and too much swelling music.

I met Gblvr at the mall for dinner (Indian) and a bit of shopping (white tank top, $7 leggings). Then I came home and watched Nikita (which made me very sad because of the bad thing they did to one of the women characters, because I absolutely loved her and will really miss her), and then caught up on last week's Smallville, which amused me both because of Booster and because Clark Kent as a mature adult is still as insecure as the kids on Glee. Here are some of the neighborhood flowers I saw yesterday and today:















No comments: