Thursday, December 23, 2021

Poem for Thursday, Hawkeye, Squirrel Visitor

The Mountain and the Squirrel
By Ralph Waldo Emerson

The mountain and the squirrel
Had a quarrel;
And the former called the latter "Little Prig."
Bun replied,
"You are doubtless very big;
But all sorts of things and weather
Must be taken in together
To make up a year
And a sphere.
And I think it's no disgrace
To occupy my place.
If I'm not so large as you,
You are not so small as I,
And not half so spry.
I'll not deny you make
A very pretty squirrel track;
Talents differ: all is well and wisely put;
If I cannot carry forests on my back,
Neither can you crack a nut."

 -------- 

Not a lot to report from my Wednesday besides talking to two of my high school friends and several of their kids at lunch -- the third was holiday shopping with her family -- and a walk in lovely chilly weather around the neighborhood, where people are finishing their outdoor holiday decorations. I also did a couple of Pokemon raids remotely with my local group and made Paul watch The Masked Singer holiday singalong, which was fun but weird (a lot of stuff from last season and some distinctly non-Christmas songs). 

And we watched the Hawkeye season finale, which I absolutely loved. It was the happiest of the Disney+ finales this year -- a suitable holiday episode, complete with the complete musical number we half-saw in the first episode, which is an absolute joy -- and I appreciate that I worried only about the men because the women are so much more competent (the new Hawkeye, the new Black Widow, Echo, even Kate's mom). Also, mockingbird and owl cameos (the Rockefeller Center tree)! Here's a visitor we've had finishing off our fall gourds: 

2021-12-21 11.19.03

2021-12-21 12.25.07A

2021-12-19 16.46.28

2021-12-19 16.42.45

2021-12-21 11.18.48

2021-12-19 16.42.56

2021-12-19 16.32.56A

No comments: