Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Poem for Wednesday


From Gitanjali
By Rabindranath Tagore


On many an idle day have I grieved over lost time. But it is never lost, my lord. Thou hast taken every moment of my life in thine own hands.

Hidden in the heart of things thou art nourishing seeds into sprouts, buds into blossoms, and ripening flowers into fruitfulness.

I was tired and sleeping on my idle bed and imagined all work had ceased. In the morning I woke up and found my garden full with wonders of flowers.

Time is endless in thy hands, my lord. There is none to count thy minutes.

Days and nights pass and ages bloom and fade like flowers. Thou knowest how to wait.

Thy centuries follow each other perfecting a small wild flower.

We have no time to lose, and having no time we must scramble for a chances. We are too poor to be late.

And thus it is that time goes by while I give it to every querulous man who claims it, and thine altar is empty of all offerings to the last.

At the end of the day I hasten in fear lest thy gate to be shut; but I find that yet there is time.

--------


Yet another day with nothing earthshattering to report. I had a lovely lunch at an absolutely wonderful Indian buffet with and her mother, , two women I admire so much as well as like; we talked about holidays and plans to travel and their NaNoWriMo progress, which made me sorry I hadn't made some effort to participate this year. They want to do it again during a month other than November, which I am heartily in favor of (NaNoWriMo was clearly originated by a man who is not responsible for his family's Thanksgiving or winter holiday celebrations), so maybe they will let me join them then!

Then I came home and had a long phone conversation with my college roommate who has just moved to Albany, which is too far (she'd been in New York City), but she is in a house right on a lake and it sounds wonderful and I am very happy for her. And then I ran into on AIM for the first time in ages and we caught up -- I love doing that. Important life lesson learned upon receiving phone bill today, however: never, ever call someone outside the U.S. to try to save a friendship. The price on Sprint is much, much too high to listen to a list of your own character flaws. Money could have been better spent on nice dinner, museum trip with kids or buying presents for actual friends.

Meanwhile my older son decided he did not want to stay for chess club at school today but rather to come home and get ready for the Turkey Trot, a mile-long Thanksgiving race which he is taking very seriously and competitively. So I picked him up, the kids did some serious exercising, then came home with the Yu-Gi-Oh movie on DVD and all activity stopped but watching it enraptured. Younger son has a busy couple of days coming up with an orthodontist appointment and a field trip, and then we just learned that his very good friend from Venezuela whom we had thought was moving back a year ago, whose mother was able to stay at the embassy longer, is now moving back for good in a couple of weeks (I am very curious whether this abruptness has anything to do with the election and/or Powell's resignation but I dare not ask). So both kids are going to his going-away party this weekend, which will apparently involve a sleepover with Spongebob marathon.

Wrote my first : "Unrepentant", for the anonymous pen pal challenge. Sometimes I need a drabble to clear my head and had really gotten out of the habit of writing them. Today Bellatrix Black decided that I need to write the chapter of Animi Causa that she's in -- having her talking in my head was a very lestrange experience (get it? heh, but hey, it is necessary to have a sense of humor when freakin' Bellatrix is in your head). Oddly, the less I want to finish Animi Causa, the more Snape wants me to finish it. I think I need to write the infill in the Lucius half before I can do a thing with the ending, and both Bellatrix and Lucius are being rather icky, if entertainingly kinky. Hope no one minds. Then there's also the happy-ending Remus/Sirius fic and the dark Remus/Sirius/Severus fic I'm supposed to be working on...but whenever I look at either of those, Snape wants more outrageously happy in-denial smut. Wizards.



GIP because brought me yellow wristbands for my sons and made them very, very happy, then younger son proceeded to tease Cinnamon with the wristbands. And while I am on a cat theme...














Georgie, the kitten rescued by a couple of weeks ago, who is still looking for a permanent home.


Did not read friends list at all and am too tired now, so will chat in the morning! Sorry and goodnight! ETA: Happy birthday and !

No comments: