Friday, March 18, 2005

Poem for Saturday


His Pilgrimage
By Sir Walter Raleigh


Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
  My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
  My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope's true gage;
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

Blood must be my body's balmer;
  No other balm will there be given:
Whilst my soul, like quiet palmer,
  Travelleth towards the land of heaven;
Over the silver mountains,
Where spring the nectar fountains;
        There will I kiss
        The bowl of bliss;
And drink mine everlasting fill
Upon every milken hill.
My soul will be a-dry before;
But, after, it will thirst no more.

--------


Had a lovely lunch with and (deli; I ate a bagel and lox on the theory that Nova lox is probably not available cheaply or easily in Great Britain), and brought us desserts -- the boys and their friends thank you greatly for the cupcakes and my entire family thanks you for the pie, sweetie! Picked up the kids who had a friend over, older son's bus was very late, posted articles, went to parents for dinner (Greek food). So eating-wise and socially, it was a good day. The news depressed me so much I stopped watching. Forgetting more controversial issues, I don't know if I want Joss Whedon to direct the Wonder Woman film -- I am not really in the mood for revisionist Wonder Woman in which she's a more compromised heroine, which I imagine is what we'll get with him.

Came home to fold laundry and do various other chores while watching "The Watchers" -- I have always wanted to write that phrase, heh. Not nearly as dramatic in scope as its predecessor, "The Hunters," but I loved the "When Duncan Met Joe" aspect. All right, it would have helped a lot if they had hired an actress with some small modicum of talent to play the villain's daughter; we were going, "Daddy! Please protect me, I CAN'T ACT!"

Since I know there must be Desperate Housewives fans reading this: my editor at TrekToday and CSI Files has launched a new DH site, Get Desperate!, very similar in format to the other sites. Check it out if you're interested in the show!

: Gawker
1. What's the first physical feature that attracts you to another person?
Often it's a smile.
2. Do you read the tabloids (i.e. The National Enquirer, The Mirror)? Only when I'm in grocery store lines, which pretty much limits me to the headlines.
3. Have you ever snuck a peek at someone else's paper while taking an exam? In high school French class, I'm afraid so.
4. How would you describe your vision? Astigmatic. When driving I often have the sense that other cars are much too close to me. I also tend to perceive heights as higher and scarier than they are, though I am not afraid of heights per se -- just cautious climbing down things.
5. What's the scariest thing you've ever seen? A truck that had skidded off a highway bridge right through a guard rail and crashed onto the road below.

: Friday Five, Times Five
1. What are your five favorite all time TV shows?
Star Trek, Deep Space Nine, Xena, Dallas, Dawson's Creek.
2. What five things you want to do before the year is out? See Hadrian's Wall, hike in the Olympic Peninsula, stand in the Atlantic Ocean, drive into the mountains to see the leaves changing color, take the kids to the Temple of Dendur at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
3. Who are five people (alive, dead, or otherwise) you would want to have dinner with? My four great-grandmothers and my step-great-grandmother, the one my father grew up knowing.
4. Where are five places (cities, states, countries, etc.) you would like to visit? France, Italy, Ireland, Israel, Nepal.
5. What are your five favorite desserts? Chocolate eclair, German chocolate cake, Nubian chocolate roll, chocolate cheescake, plain old unadorned chocolate bars.

From :



Is maith liom bananai
'I like bananas.'
You're laid-back and you enjoy the simple things in life. Some might say you're a little too laid-back. Just what is it you're smoking, anyway?
Take the quiz: "Which Random Irish Gaelic Phrase Are You?"



From :

Which Pagan Goddess Are You? by kira_may
Name?
Age?
You are:Gaia
You favourite trick:Appearing in the sky to scare the enemy's army
Your feeling towards mortals:They are entertaining, like puppies.
When you sleep with mortals, your lover is:Boromir
Mortal you'd most like to smite:Ashley Judd
Quiz created with MemeGen!





To go with the poem...Sir Walter Raleigh's desk in the Tower of London.


How many days does it usually take me to go through a tube of hair conditioner? That is the question for the day. Also, is ibuprofen available over the counter relatively cheaply and easily in Great Britain? How about preservative-free contact lens solution? Forgive me if these are extremely ignorant touristy questions, I am trying to figure out how much of our medicine chest we need to pack...

No comments: