Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Poem for Wednesday


Voyages II
By Hart Crane


--And yet this great wink of eternity,
Of rimless floods, unfettered leewardings,
Samite sheeted and processioned where
Her undinal vast belly moonward bends,
Laughing the wrapt inflections of our love;

Take this Sea, whose diapason knells
On scrolls of silver snowy sentences,
The sceptred terror of whose sessions rends
As her demeanors motion well or ill,
All but the pieties of lovers' hands.

And onward, as bells off San Salvador
Salute the crocus lustres of the stars,
In these poinsettia meadows of her tides,--
Adagios of islands, O my Prodigal,
Complete the dark confessions her veins spell.

Mark how her turning shoulders wind the hours,
And hasten while her penniless rich palms
Pass superscription of bent foam and wave,--
Hasten, while they are true,--sleep, death, desire,
Close round one instant in one floating flower.

Bind us in time, O Seasons clear, and awe.
O minstrel galleons of Carib fire,
Bequeath us to no earthly shore until
Is answered in the vortex of our grave
The seal's wide spindrift gaze toward paradise.

--------

I have half of the first section of my Remix fic done and it's in English. This is a good thing. Sorry about all the panicking. At least now I believe I can finish this thing with only one more weekend before the due date. I have spent more time thinking about certain Buffy characters in the past two weeks than I did in all the time I watched the show, which is good, and which is why I wanted to remix a fic in a fandom I've never written before, but I am still afraid I am butchering the witty, incisive story I am basing my fic on!

On the subject of fic, moving to Harry Potter, I was re-sorting my memories because I had too many stories in too many categories...there were a few filed under Harry Potter, fic, Snapefic, R/S and story series title and that's too many places. So the series are now filed only under their own categories, without regard to pairing or fandom -- people can find those easily enough on the first link.

And incidentally, if anyone still wants to follow The Snape Novel That Isn't, I posted the last complete piece I had in draft form of "Initiations", a bit called "Owned"; I backdated it because it's not betaed, consists of two bits of RP glommed together with the tenses changed, and really there should have been more plot less smut, but I am fond of the emotional content in this bit -- it's during the period before Lucius became a bastard, and was originally set in Lucius' mother's bed but I reset it in Lucius' own bed because based on the time frame, his mother was likely in the house at the time. *g* That makes 11 chapters in "Initiations," 12 in "Tea and Chocolate", the whole thing needs perhaps four chapters to be finished but they're the hardest of all because they're so plot-intensive...is it worth it, just to say I mostly co-wrote a fan novel? I go back and forth on this question: am I better off focusing on new stuff, or will I gain a sense of closure on last year by finishing it that I never will otherwise no matter what I write later? If I'm going to do this I think it has to be before HP:HBP comes out, because once it's all impossibly acanonical, I expect it to feel too trivial to bother.


After temperatures in the 60s Monday, we had snow all morning Tuesday. And I mean heavy snow, blowing so hard you couldn't see ten feet in front of you...enough snow that I put off a lunch date from today till Friday, and stayed in the house in my sweatclothes and never showered. At least I am not in Seattle, though, since it sounds like Mount St. Helens is spewing again! I feel very decadent, though I did write three articles and a bit of a fourth and I edited some old fic and started some new fic and really did a lot of brain work for a lazy day. Today I learned that Brent Spiner will be starring in the new CBS pilot that Brannon Braga is co-producing (entitled "Threshold" -- no relation to the worst Voyager episode ever, Braga promises). Guess that by shipping him off to CBS, UPN doesn't have to deal with the sexual harrassment lawsuit...oops I did not say that. Um, if Enterprise comes back, I expect no Braga at all, which can only be a good thing at this point!

I did watch Veronica Mars, thought at first it was a new episode, realized it had to be a rerun, discovered that I have absolutely no sense of what happened when on that series because I've watched it so chaotically. I can always follow the weekly investigation storyline but the overall arc is getting lost entirely! Does anyone have any good web links for following that show?

I wish I had strong feelings about the Half-Blood Prince covers. But I can't really gather any information from them, other than that Dumbledore is in the book and Harry is still taking Potions, which I kind of suspected would be the case. And Harry might need a haircut, but that might be artistic license. I can't decide whether I am excited about or dreading the book: I am kind of fond of my imaginary projected version of that universe as it is right now, and a couple of character deaths could destroy that completely. Anyone else ambivalent?


Icicles forming on the house (and the trees, in reflection) as the early snow melted in the sun.


This may be my last Highlander Wednesday for a very long time as is going to have a new, improved work schedule that precludes it. Sigh! We will have to go back to going out to lunch and squeeing quietly in public! Also, it's my mother's birthday, so we are having dinner en famille. Wish me luck!

No comments: