Friday, September 30, 2005

Poem for Friday


Ruth
By Thomas Hood


She stood breast-high amid the corn,
Clasp'd by the golden light of morn,
Like the sweetheart of the sun,
Who many a glowing kiss had won.

On her cheek an autumn flush,
Deeply ripen'd; such a blush
In the midst of brown was born,
Like red poppies grown with corn.

Round her eyes her tresses fell,
Which were blackest none could tell,
But long lashes veil'd a light,
That had else been all too bright.

And her hat, with shady brim,
Made her tressy forehead dim;
Thus she stood amid the stooks,
Praising God with sweetest looks:

Sure, I said, Heav'n did not mean,
Where I reap thou shouldst but glean,
Lay thy sheaf adown and come,
Share my harvest and my home.

--------


I was really tempted to post "Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November..." When the highlight of your day is running out to CVS to get Motrin Sinus because you have discovered that the package in your bathroom cabinet has expired and finishing drafts of two stories with your partner in crime, it means that you have very little to post about. I suppose I could talk about the things I did not do today, like go see The Greatest Game Ever Played for which I had a pass, because screens looked blurry and I was afraid of giving my cold. The only other excitement was younger son forgetting his violin on a day when he has instrumental music at school, and me not discovering he left it in the downstairs bathroom until it was too late, but apparently the teacher let him play the full-size violin and everything was all right.

I did watch the season premiere of Smallville, which was okay despite far too little Lionel and Lex and far, far too much Lana. I see that Kristin Kreuk did not take acting lessons over the hiatus. I really have no objection to Lana in principle, but between her terrible dialogue and her inability to convey believable physical pain, it's really not fun to watch her so much of the time. I did love the Clark and Chloe hospital scene, I'm happy to have Lois as a regular, I always like scenes that remind me of the Christopher Reeve movies, but, you know, if there is never another scene involving Martha or Jonathan being in the hospital there will still have been too many on this series.

And I watched "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" which I need to review tomorrow -- one of the wonderful first season formula original series episodes, with some magnificent McCoy ranting and Spock's agreeing with Captain Christopher that he never believed in little green men. (And ha, look at the icon gave me! She has an Alan Rickman version and I said there had to be a Spock version.) My kids watched with me and we were howling at the horrible special effects, how half the Enterprise nacelles disappear against the blue screen when the ship is leaving Earth's atmosphere, and it still holds up better than, well, Smallville. Original Trek is just so damn good.


Big bright balls.

No comments: