Saturday, July 21, 2007

Poem for Saturday


The Woodspurge
By Dante Gabriel Rossetti


The wind flapped loose, the wind was still,
Shaken out dead from tree and hill:
I had walked on at the wind's will,--
I sat now, for the wind was still.

Between my knees my forehead was,--
My lips, drawn in, said not Alas!
My hair was over in the grass,
My naked ears heard the day pass.

My eyes, wide open, had the run
Of some ten weeds to fix upon;
Among those few, out of the sun,
The woodspurge flowered, three cups in one.

From perfect grief there need not be
Wisdom or even memory:
One thing then learnt remains to me,--
The woodspurge has a cup of three.

--------


Lost much of today to my lingering migraine, didn't even get my Star Trek review written, but that's okay because I know very few people are reading anything online right now. Hope everyone enjoyed the Potter parties and staying up all night reading or else enjoyed doing all the things it was easier to do tonight because so many people were busy Pottering around!

This commentary on spoilers made my night. Otherwise, we had crab cakes for younger son's birthday dinner with my parents, then a giant chocolate chip cookie cake (both his request) and watched Doctor Who's "Gridlock" for the first time on a decent-sized screen. "Abide With Me" brings tears in my eyes, but I must admit I was distracted at the end by knowing that we're supposed to believe Captain Jack is the Face of Boe -- if this is really Jack, and he has any memory of being the person who met the Master, I cannot believe he'd leave the Doctor armed with only that.


Boy Scouts looking for birds in the wetlands at Huntley Meadows Park last winter.


: I'll always be there when you wake

1. Tea or coffee?
Tea, 99% of the time; coffee once in a blue moon with as much cream and sugar as flavored coffee.
2. Do you speak your mind? *snickering* Do you read this journal?
3. What is your escape? Daydreaming, text messaging and fan fiction.
4. When is the last time you cried? Last night at the Vienna Teng concert. Twice.
5. What are your bedtime rituals? The kids have to say "Goodnight I love you and sweet dreams" before they will go to sleep and older son always asks "When are you going to come lay down?" to which the correct answer is, "When I go to bed," even though I haven't lay down with him in many years.

: A gigantic survey with no DH spoilers

Put the books in order from favorite to least favorite:
POA, OOTP, HBP, SS, GOF, COS
How many times have you read the series: I've read SS and COS straight through once, the rest at least twice.
Favorite chapter from your favorite book: "Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs"
5 Favorite Characters: Snape, Harry, Lupin, Hermione, Sirius
3 Least Favorite Characters: James, Lily, Tonks
Favorite member of the Trio: Harry, though I really wish I could say Hermione
5 favorite quotes: I'm too lazy to look up five quotes
3 Favorite magical creatures: Phoenixes, Hippogriffs, Centaurs
Favorite family: The Malfoys
Favorite villain: Snape (not that I believe he's a villain, but will claim it for this post-book six moment)
Favorite Death Eater: Lucius (disqualifying Snape because he may wear the Mark but I don't believe he works for Voldemort)
Favorite non-Hogwarts magical building: The Ministry of Magic
Favorite Diagon Alley location: Flourish & Blotts
3 Favorite Spells: Scourgify, Wingardium Leviosa, Legilimens
3 Favorite Potions: Amortentia, Felix Felicis, Polyjuice
Favorite Unforgivable Curse: Imperius, I suppose
Favorite Department of Mysteries Room: Hall of Prophecies
Biggest surprise: Lupin's heterosexual leanings in book six
Biggest letdown: Tonks' behavior in book six
Favorite kind of transportation: Broom
Favorite Weasley: FredandGeorge
Favorite Order member: McGonagall
Favorite pet: Hedwig
One character you'd bring back to life: I don't believe in bringing characters back to life. No Miraculously!Undead Sirius for me.
Favorite Harry moment: Teaching Dumbledore's Army
Favorite Ron moment: It's movieverse -- "The spiders! They want me to tap dance! I don't want to tap dance!"
Favorite Hermione moment: Making Rita Skeeter defend Harry
Favorite Ginny moment: Writing in Riddle's diary
Favorite Neville moment: Fighting in the Department of Mysteries
Favorite Luna moment: Explaining why Harry can see thestrals
Favorite Snape moment: Occlumency lessons
Favorite Dumbledore moment: Parading Fudge around when he's supposed to be witnessing Buckbeak's execution
Favorite Voldemort moment: Trying to get information about horcruxes from Slughorn
Favorite Sirius moment: Explaining the Black Family Tree to Harry
Favorite Weasley family moment: Fred and George's departure from Hogwarts.
Favorite Draco moment: Ferret!
Moment that will always make you cry: Lupin explaining that people like him are used to parents insisting he shouldn't be around their children
Favorite Hogwarts room: Requirement
Favorite class: History of Magic
Favorite teacher: Lupin
Favorite DADA teacher: Also Lupin
Least favorite teacher: Umbridge
Favorite non-human Hogwarts resident: Fawkes
Favorite Hogsmeade location: The Shrieking Shack
Favorite Triwizard Champion: Cedric
Favorite Triwizard Task: The underwater rescue
Which character you'd ask to the Yule Ball: Cedric (bet I'm more fun than Cho)
Which character you'd like to use a love potion on: Lucius Malfoy
Which character you'd like to use Veritaserum on: I say Snape with hesitation because if the answers are all Lily, Lily and Lily then I don't want to know.
How long have you been a HP fan: Since the fifth book. I liked the first four well enough, but had no compelling urge to be involved in the fandom.
Favorite wizard rock band: I suppose I should say Harry and the Potters, since I've seen them, but I think "My Dad Is Rich, Your Dad Is Dead" by Draco and the Malfoys is probably my favorite song.
Number of midnight releases have you attended: One.
Favorite HP website: Fiction Alley
Favorite podcast: Spellcast
Favorite fanartist: Not that it's remotely possible to pick just one, but the first name that popped into my head was so I nominate her
Most ridiculous Potter theory you've heard: "No, Harry, *I* am your father!"
Favorite LJ HP community: I don't think I have one. Depends on whether I'm in the mood for fic or chat and then what pairing.
Character you're most like: Man, I don't know. Lazy version of Hermione, maybe.
House you think you'd be sorted into: Ravenclaw.
Your patronus would be a: I'm sure I'd be as surprised as everyone else, since I've never dated a cat or anything it would be likely to turn into
Your boggart would be: Similar to Molly Weasley's
To you, Amortentia would smell like: The ocean, warm rain in the mountains, vanilla pudding with brown sugar sprinkled on top, deep woods, mulled wine, bonfires
You'd use Felix Felicis to: End the war in Iraq on the best possible note
What job would you most like to try: Hogwarts librarian
Which would you rather see - a sequel or a prequel: Prequel
Put the movies in order from favorite to least favorite: POA, OOTP, GOF, SS, COS
Actor most like the book character: Umbridge
Actor least like the book character: Snape (which I mean in the very best possible way)
Favorite movie set: I don't think I can pick just one. The Great Hall, maybe. I am also inordinately fond of the stone circle and the bridge.
3 Favorite lines from movies: Right now I'm fixated on the most recent movie and they're all little tiny lines of Snape's -- "Obviously," "Feeling sentimental?" and "No idea."
Favorite movie scene: The Shrieking Shack
Favorite scene in the movies not included in the books: Snape and Lucius holding hands at the Quidditch match in COS. (Shut up, yes they were.)
Scene you were most disappointed didn't make it into the movie: Aragorn healing Faramir...oh wait. Um, I don't think I have had any moments I was nearly as upset to lose...I wish many more of Hermione's scenes were included.

EITHER/OR

Floo powder or broom: Broom
Bernie Bott's Every Flavor Beans or Chocolate Frogs: Chocolate Frogs -- be serious!
Death Eaters or Dumbledore's Army: DA
Fred or George: Sandwich
CAPSLOCK HARRY or Emo!Harry: Emo!Harry
The Ministry of Magic or Gringotts: Ministry
Sirius or Lupin: Lupin as a teacher, Sirius as a godfather
Occlumency or Legilimency: Legilimency
Animagus or Metamorphagus: Animagus
Mermish or Parselmouth: Parselmouth
Draco or Lucius: LUCIUS LUCIUS LUCIUS LUCIUS
Peter Pettigrew or Mundungus Fletcher: Mundungus
Whomping Willow or Flying Ford Anglia: Flying Ford!
Invisibility cloak or Pensieve: Invisibility cloak, unless the Pensieve comes with a collection of memories from really awesome people
Grimmauld Place or The Burrow: Depends on how many people are at either, and which
Werewolf or Inferi: Werewolf
Herbology or Care of Magical Creatures: Care of Magical Creatures
Professor Binns or Professor Umbridge: Binns
Yule Ball or Quidditch Championship: Quidditch
Peeves or Nearly Headless Nick: Nick
Hippogriff or Thestrals: Hippogriff
Durmstrang or Beaubaxtons: Durmstrang (I'd never get the cutesy curtsying with butterflies right)
S.P.E.W or the Inquisitorial Squad: S.P.E.W.
Three Broomsticks The Leaky Cauldron: Both -- can't I go to London and Hogsmeade?



By

No comments: