Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Poem for Wednesday

Rain Light
By W.S. Merwin


All day the stars watch from long ago
my mother said I am going now
when you are alone you will be all right
whether or not you know you will know
look at the old house in the dawn rain
all the flowers are forms of water
the sun reminds them through a white cloud
touches the patchwork spread on the hill
the washed colors of the afterlife
that lived there long before you were born
see how they wake without a question
even though the whole world is burning

--------

I had lots of things I was supposed to get done today, but either the latest Windows update or the latest McAfee update seriously disagreed with my computer, which took 20 minutes to boot this morning, and then, when I tried booting it in safe mode so I could set a restore point, asked for a Windows XP password that it had never needed before. To make a long story short, I spent most of my day just getting my computer back to its usual too-slow speed instead of the new slower-than-constipation speed. Then I shifted the latest batch of photos and music from the internal to the external hard drive to see if that helped matters any, but Windows Explorer seems to slow down whenever the external drive is turned on, so whatever benefit might have been gained from freeing up space is probably offset by that. Oh well, when things go really wrong, the usual annoyances don't seem nearly as annoying! Here, have some butterfly sex.


There's always lots of whoopie going on at Brookside Gardens during Wings of Fancy.


Just look at these two getting into position so they can rub naughty bits (or whatever it is that butterflies rub).


This was happening all over the conservatory...


...resulting in eggs...


...and then little caterpillars...


...and bigger caterpillars...


...and finally cocoons from which emerged more butterflies!


My friend in London sent me a Sarah Jane Smith action figure with a Star Poet that lights up, so I am fannishly happy about that, at least. (I see that Christopher Tolkien is even greedier than Peter Jackson so The Hobbit may be delayed even further, and wouldn't it be nice if I was looking forward to it enough to care?) We watched Transformers now that it's on cable and the kids know who Shia LaBeouf is, and I enjoyed it more than I expected because it was so very Iron Giant. And many aspects of it were less preposterous than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. My parents, who are in San Francisco for my father's birthday, got a tour of Lucasfilm's Letterman Digital Arts Center in the Presidio today, so maybe I will get to hear some behind the scenes stories about it when they get home!

No comments: