Friday, October 24, 2008

Poem for Friday

Upon Westminster Bridge
By William Wordsworth


Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth like a garment wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!

--------

I had a really fun Thursday afternoon -- Gblvr came over and we went out to get sushi, then ate it while watching Torchwood and Doctor Who ("Adam," "The Unquiet Dead," "The Shakespeare Code," "Gridlock"), looking for photos of Gareth David-Lloyd on the internet and swapping the Tennant Casanova for Lost in Austen and Blackpool. I even managed to get my laundry folded. Daniel stayed late for robotics and Adam was working on Chinese homework (his name in Chinese, given to him by his teacher, means moral, famous, and bright, he tells me) when he wasn't drawing dragon penguins. He has also been working for quite a long time now on a novel, which -- putting aside that I'm his mother -- is a really creative science fiction story.


Here are some photos of Halloween/harvest decorations I took with the little Nikon while taking a twilight walk around my neighborhood.


These people have the same butterfly bench that Brookside Gardens has for its Wings of Fancy exhibit.


Lots of people have lined their walkways with some types of candleholders.


There are tasteful flower-and-squash displays...


...and witches and colored streamers...


...and pilgrim-scarecrow type things...


...and giant fake spiderwebs and miniature vampires...


...and bears are always in season, aren't they?


Watched Smallville, wasn't very engaged by it and was somewhat confused though that might be because the kids were distracting me during the first few minutes and the cat got sick during the last few minutes -- there were a few great Chloe moments, but I must admit that I really miss Lois and Oliver when they're not around, and even Tess. Spoilers: I did like Chloe blasting Clark about turning over the list of meteor mutants to the police, denying her and her kids the benefit of the doubt when he of all people should have known better, but the whole setup was dorky and I don't understand why they've decided Davis needs to be turned into a villain (to keep Chloe and Jimmy together? Bleh). I figured it had to be him and it made no sense whatsoever when it looked like it was Dark Matter Boy, but apparently it WAS him and he doesn't even know it? Um, whatever.

Of course it didn't help Smallville any that I watched "The Best of Both Worlds, Part Two" afterward to review on Friday before I take younger son to the orthodontist. No family shabbat dinner tomorrow night; my parents are in New York visiting my uncle, who is finally getting out of the rehab center where he's been since he was discharged from the hospital!

No comments: