Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Poem for Wednesday and Longwood Lilies

The Enkindled Spring
By D.H. Lawrence


This spring as it comes bursts up in bonfires green,
Wild puffing of emerald trees, and flame-filled bushes,
Thorn-blossom lifting in wreaths of smoke between
Where the wood fumes up and the watery, flickering rushes.

I am amazed at this spring, this conflagration
Of green fires lit on the soil of the earth, this blaze
Of growing, and sparks that puff in wild gyration,
Faces of people streaming across my gaze.

And I, what fountain of fire am I among
This leaping combustion of spring? My spirit is tossed
About like a shadow buffeted in the throng
Of flames, ashadow that's gone astray, and is lost.

--------

I spent Tuesday catching up on work and laundry when I wasn't doing things like tracking down and burning to disc yesterday's Oprah (courtesy one good samaritan) and the Oscars (courtesy another good samaritan), and since I spent all day Monday on my butt and the weather was gorgeous on Tuesday (nearly 60 degrees, sunny), I also took an hour and a half walk in the woods. Paul decided we needed rarebit for dinner for Saint David's day, which is one of my favorite things, so that was lovely too.

Then I spent the evening being a loser again. At first, this meant watching St. Trinian's 2: The Legend of Fritton's Gold, which has less Colin Firth in it than the first but is much, much funnier, in large part because it also has David Tennant as the villain, the worst production of Romeo and Juliet ever on the stage of the Globe Theatre (plus the most cockamamie Shakespeare story ever, starting with the fact that they pretended the current Globe is on the precise site of the original), and a pirate battle in the Thames in front of the Tower.

Then we watched The Tailor of Panama, which I'd been wary of because I thought it might have a horrible bloody ending (it doesn't exactly have a happy ending, but it's not nearly as grim as I feared). Fandom: You are all fired for not letting me know that Daniel Radcliffe plays Geoffrey Rush's son in that movie (which has given me the weirdest crossover ideas ever, but enough about that). Geoffrey is incredibly good, and Pierce Brosnan must be good as well because I absolutely loathed him from early on, which is what his character deserves.

My van has a flat tire. The good news is that these did not ruin our Sunday even though the tire light kept coming on and going off on the ride home. The bad news is that it has to go in tomorrow for repairs, and I had lunch plans and things I needed to get done out of the house. Augh! Here, have some stargazer lilies from Longwood Gardens:













No comments: