Thursday, September 22, 2011

Poem for Thursday, Hawk, Harry's Law

Alone
By Edgar Allan Poe

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were--I have not seen
As others saw--I could not bring
My passions from a common spring--
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow--I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone--
And all I lov'd--I lov'd alone--
Then--in my childhood--in the dawn
Of a most stormy life--was drawn
From ev'ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still--
From the torrent, or the fountain--
From the red cliff of the mountain--
From the sun that 'round me roll'd
In its autumn tint of gold--
From the lightning in the sky
As it pass'd me flying by--
From the thunder, and the storm--
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view--

--------

On Wednesday morning I got a reminder e-mail from Shutterfly that I could get a free hardcover photo book if I ordered by that evening, so I spent much more of the morning than I had intended putting together 20 pages of photos from our trip to the Outer Banks last month. I can already tell that it is going to be the sort of week where I am behind on everything; on Friday, Daniel is coming home to celebrate his birthday and go to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire over the weekend, and on Thursday, Vera Bradley is having winter release parties at the two stores in Rockville, both of which are having giveaways and I love all four of the new patterns. I have to get my review finished.

Though autumn doesn't technically start till Friday at the equinox, Wednesday was officially the first day and it looked and smelled like it with the leaves falling outside, where I saw at least four deer (plus two others but I think that may have been the same mother and fawn in a different part of the woods). We watched the season premiere of Harry's Law, in which Harry takes on a capital murder case, which was particularly painful tonight as the Supreme Court was denying Troy Davis's last stay of execution (the state of Georgia killed him a few minutes ago). I'm tired and unhappy so have just one photo of a hawk from Boonesborough Days:

No comments: