Friday, February 20, 2004

Poem for Friday and <a href


Today's poem is brought to you by , who pointed out how applicable it is to Master and Commander. This is not one of the sonnets I have read over and over again, and I squealed when she posted it yesterday...

Sonnet 128
By William Shakespeare


How oft when thou, my music, music play'st,
Upon that blessed wood whose motion sounds
With thy sweet fingers when thou gently sway'st
The wiry concord that mine ear confounds,
Do I envy those jacks that nimble leap
To kiss the tender inward of thy hand,
Whilst my poor lips, which should that harvest reap,
At the wood's boldness by thee blushing stand.
To be so tickled they would change their state
And situation with those dancing chips,
O'er whom thy fingers walk with gentle gait,
Making dead wood more blest than living lips;
Since saucy jacks so happy are in this,
Give them thy fingers, me thy lips to kiss.

--------


Friday Five
When was the last time you...
1. ...went to the doctor?

Tetanus shot a couple of weeks ago.
2. ...went to the dentist?
Earlier this week.
3. ...filled your gas tank?
Last weekend.
4. ...got enough sleep?
Last weekend.
5. ...backed up your computer?
Right before going out of town last weekend.

today is "Superhero 5" and I would only make an utter fool of myself revealing my total lack of knowledge about comics if I tried to do it. Catwoman from the Adam West TV show is my favorite superhero, even if she's techically a villain (every time she's about to seduce Batman, and he panics and says, "But what about Robin?!" she offers to have him killed painlessly...heh). I have no opinions on any Superman but Smallville's and I doubt enough people here followed Lady Pendragon for her brief and glorious comic career that there's much point in talking about her. I suppose I should catch up on Aria, which I read for the art, and Promethea, which I read for the Tarot and mythology...

Gacked from , though as points out this quiz has an absolutely repugnant response for Israel and I am only keeping it here because I didn't discover this till several days later, so I don't encourage anyone to take it:


You're Madagascar!
Lots of people don't really know anything about you, making you buried treasure of the rarest kind.  You love nature, and could get lost in it whenever possible.  You're remote and exotic, and the few people who know you value whatever they share with you a great deal.  For some reason, you really like the word "lemur".
Take the Country Quiz at the href="http://bluepyramid.org">Blue Pyramid


This morning for Read Across America, my kids' school had breakfast for students and parents (really healthy stuff like donut holes and muffins of course *g*). We all brought books, the librarian dressed up like the Cat in the Hat in honor of Dr. Seuss' upcoming 100th birthday, the principal read a book about a really mean principal. I read a few pages of O'Brian but it's hard to read while saying hi to people, getting kids more muffins, listening to one son talk to a classmate about cartoons while the other reads aloud, etc. Am stuck in the house without a car and nothing exciting for lunch now...ah well, shall go finish Post Captain.

No comments: