Friday, December 23, 2011

Poem for Friday, Baltimore Poinsettias, Tinker Tailor

in the decision of a beginning [3]
By Rusty Morrison

No sensation of falling, which suggests that this condition may be flight.
My eyes might be open or not. My coffee poured into a cup or
onto the countertop. This, a ball of saved rubberbands or the thick clot of tremors
I usually keep deep in the drawer that I can trust will stick
when I absent-mindedly forget, and try to open it.
What would it mean for a body to yield?
A use.
That is to say, dew moistens the grass and is gone.
The body moves from out of its past with each glimpse of its own
disappearance, cumulatively. With each drop of rain the earth's atmosphere pelts
its grove of tall cedars and saplings
with equal force. A body
negating itself as an object possessable. To hold one's breath would be to drown
in order to avoid drowning.

--------

I had an absolutely lovely Thursday with Dementordelta, marred only because she had a horrible drive home and knowing that she had a sucky evening makes me sad. We went to downtown Bethesda, went to Baja Fresh for cheese quesadillas for lunch, then went to the movies to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. We were sitting in the theater for nearly half an hour when we learned that there had been a leak and the 1 p.m. show had been canceled, so we went to Barnes & Noble for a while, put more money in the parking meter, and went to the 2:30 show for free. I still adore the film, even more so perhaps now that I'm 3/4 through the novel and notice things I might not have had I not started to read it.

Since we were in the mood for more Colin Firth and Mark Strong, we then came back to my house and had chocolate cake that she had brought and watched Fever Pitch (she hadn't seen it and it's not like it was a hardship for me to watch it again). She also brought me a King's Speech tissue box for Chanukah. *g* After she left, Apaulled made pancakes and fake bacon for solstice dinner and Daniel requested Deep Space Nine, which I very happily watched with him -- the pilot and "In the Hands of the Prophets" which are necessary for understanding all the arc episodes of later seasons. Tomorrow hopefully I can show him "Past Prologue" and "Necessarily Evil"! Poinsettias from the Baltimore Conservatory:















No comments: