Saturday, May 17, 2003

Poem for Saturday and Random Recs

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven
By William Butler Yeats


Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

--------

From The Wind Among the Reeds. Short enough that I skipped the cut tag. Did you guess that Equilibrium put me in the mood for this? You're right! Sean Bean reading Yeats...what could be better? Well, besides Sean Bean reading Shakespeare's gay sonnets...

tells me that I must see Better Than Sex. I can't find it anywhere and I desperately want to worship the Dave!Ass. Can anyone help me? What is wrong with Deep Discount DVD and Amazon, anyway?

Re: Matrix and X2 stories -- the reason I haven't left you comments is that I haven't seen them yet. Believe me I wish it were otherwise. And now for some recs, by no means comprehensive of things I enjoyed this week or even this weekend, just what leaped out at me this morning:
's The Tree of Knowledge, angsty Clark/Lex/Helen...
's Assets and Liabilities, happy Clex...
's Perfect, angsty like most Alec/James...
's Farewell, angsty like most Boromir/Faramir...
And just for giggles, 's comment on this ROTK Legolas spoiler pic. HOWL!

On to serious stuff. Edward Rothstein in The New York Times on Mutating Virus: Hatred of Jews, an interesting article on new, improved anti-Semitism following a conference at the Center for Jewish History earlier this week. Plus Bill Keller on God and G.W. Bush, fascinating and scary.

And finally, Topfive.com's Number 1 Comment On a Date That Guarantees You Won't Get Laid. "This scar? I got it at a Star Trek convention when I tripped and stabbed myself with my inhaler. Hey, did you know that a Klingon is physically incapable of French kissing?"

No comments: