Friday, May 27, 2011

Poem for Friday, Farm Cuteness, Pirate Radio

Emmett Till's Glass-Top Casket
By Cornelius Eady


        By the time they cracked me open again, topside, abandoned in a toolshed, I had become another kind of nest. Not many people connect possums with Chicago,

        but this is where the city ends, after all, and I float still, after the footfalls fade and the roots bloom around us. The fact was, everything that worked for my young man

        worked for my new tenants. The fact was, he had been gone for years. They lifted him from my embrace, and I was empty, ready. That’s how the possums found me, friend,

        dry-docked, a tattered mercy hull. Once I held a boy who didn’t look like a boy. When they finally remembered, they peeked through my clear top. Then their wild surprise.

--------

I stayed home on Thursday with Daniel, who slept till 11:30. I thought this might be because his arm was bothering him, but apparently he was just recovering from senior year. We had bagels and I folded laundry and we watched Pirate Radio, which, apart from some appalling sexism, was enormously enjoyable -- great cast (Bill Nighy, Jack Davenport, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rhys Ifans, Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, and a bunch of girls from St Trinians), entertaining relationships, Titanic references, idiot public officials, and one of the best soundtracks ever. Then we half-watched Salt since we wanted to record it while it was free; I wasn't paying careful enough attention to judge it fairly, but I get the impression that Angelina was good, the chase scenes were exciting, and the plot was pretty silly.

The van was in being serviced, so we all went out to dinner at the mall before going to pick it up. While we were there, we looked at the iPhone and Droid Incredible 2; Daniel needs a better phone than his current basic Virgin Mobile model when he goes to college, Adam would like a phone on which he can play Angry Birds and Tiny Wings, I want a phone that doesn't drop the signal in my house all summer long when the trees have leaves on them (a T-Mobile issue) and doesn't drop the letters E and W yet has a decent word processor, a much better camera, and preferably a browser that can run Flash. No decisions have been made either about phones or where to get them (Best Buy has some nice warranty options) but I think we're leaning toward Verizon as a carrier. Will catch up on correspondence tomorrow. Here are a few more Homestead Farms photos:















No comments: