Friday, May 12, 2017

Poem for Friday and Grotto of Lourdes

Autobiography of Eve
By Ansel Elkins

Wearing nothing but snakeskin
boots, I blazed a footpath, the first
radical road out of that old kingdom
toward a new unknown.
When I came to those great flaming gates
of burning gold,
I stood alone in terror at the threshold
between Paradise and Earth.
There I heard a mysterious echo:
my own voice
singing to me from across the forbidden
side. I shook awake—
at once alive in a blaze of green fire.

Let it be known: I did not fall from grace.

I leapt
to freedom.

--------

It rained all day Thursday so I didn't walk as much as I should have -- meaning 3+ hours -- so my back is in a lot of pain and I am very cranky. Most of the excitement of my day was stupid home projects following a trip to Michael's and The Container Store (plus a stop at Pier 1 which didn't have what I wanted and Bagel City since it was right nearby). Plus I did laundry, which was actually a pleasure as it involved walking up and down the stairs.

We had garlic couscous chicken for dinner, but didn't watch Blindspot because we're two weeks behind, though I see it's been picked up for a third season so we'll need to catch up on that. Instead we watched this week's episode of The Handmaid's Tale, which was great and distressing as they all are, then the end of the ninth season of Bones. Here are some photos from yesterday of Emmitsburg's National Shrine Grotto of Lourdes at Mount St. Mary's:

16emts9

16emts15

16emts12

16emts14

16emts13

16emts11

16emts16

16emts10

No comments: