Friday, May 26, 2017

Poem for Friday, Red Nose Day, Son and Cat

After the First Child, the Second
By Mary Austin Speaker

for Chris Martin

To you
through whom

these sudden days
blowse & hum

thirst & quench
a tide of tensing trees

days tick by
beats in a song

my body grows
fuller each day

I think my life
has always been

for this quiet
darkness

your forehead
& eyelashes

face pressed
to my breast

your skin a texture
electrifying

my fingertips
wool on cotton

wool on glass
the fibers rise

& I can’t sleep
for being alive

--------

After dropping Adam off at NIH this morning, I went to physical therapy! Which was great! I mean, my back still aches and I have sharp pains shooting through my hip and down my leg when I sit for more than 20 minutes, but at least now I have exercises! We came home for lunch afterward, Paul talked to some job people, then we went to the post office to mail Maddy a package and to Kohl's so Paul could get shoes and I could get a nightgown I almost bought on sale last week which is now another few dollars cheaper. We also took a walk around the lake there to see the goslings.

We picked Adam up in the midst of a thunderstorm, had meatloaf for dinner, and watched The Handmaid's Tale and Genius with him (he has a low opinion of political dystopias, having been scarred by Ayn Rand's Anthem in school at a young age, and he doesn't have a great opinion of Einstein's useful smarts after this miniseries). Then we watched the Red Nose Day special, mostly to see the Love, Actually mini-sequel, which was cute but I don't love the original enough to be too deeply invested! Since Daniel is coming Friday and Effie is enraged about having her claws clipped, pics from his last visit:






No comments: