Friday, July 28, 2023

Poem for Thursday and Friendship Bracelets

A Green Thought
By Katharine Towers

Say instead it was an evening in head-high
bracken with its smell of dark and medicine.
Thinking green of the infecting fern

where you may crouch and not be known,
lodging your feet for good amid the stalks.
A bower is a dwelling place or once it was

a cage for pent-up singing birds.
Look down to see the warp and weft of root.
All the world is in these clutches.

Look up to clock the fern’s drab underneath
blotched with spores you mustn’t breathe.
Breathe in deep. There’s nowhere else to live.

-------- 

My thrilling lunchtime activity for Thursday was returning to the medical building where I had my checkup yesterday for a mammogram. The facility houses an urgent care clinic, radiology, and several other specialties, and I haven't waited more than five minutes for anything whether it was a blood draw or a neuropathy check, which is very nice. It was otherwise a quiet day with a walk on the beach in warm, breezy weather -- we have new ducklings and last night we saw two nutria.  

Good Omens' second season was up by the time of my usual Thursday night chat group, so we all got off quickly to watch the first couple of episodes, which I loved but I want to wait till I see the whole thing to decide whether it lives up to the first season. What We Do in the Shadows was hilarious (Yiddish-speaking vampires!) I KNOW you're tired of hearing about Taylor Swift, but after I posted the Barbie shoe jewelry (which, yes, I made), I had a request to see the friendship bracelets:

2023-07-23 15.50.22A
All of these were made by other people and traded to me, including the one with the 3D printed Taylor head!

2023-07-20 10.13.21
I made these Folklore/Evermore bracelets and traded them away!

2023-07-24 11.50.46
I made and kept this "Exile" bracelet because it makes me think of a Loki songvid!

2023-07-20 11.43.47
I was told that people bring their bracelets to concerts on carabiners so they don't have to wear 30 at a time, so here are many of the ones I brought to trade!

2023-07-23 16.30.38
These were both traded to me by people I met in Pioneer Square -- a "Long Live" bracelet with a dragon and a Reputation bracelet with beads made from the paper "newsprint" wrappers that came with Reputation merchandise!

2023-07-22 15.20.04
Here I am eating gelato and wearing bracelets that were at this point half mine, half traded -- several of the latter were later traded again!

2023-07-20 21.34.17
I made this one because the little theater mask (smiling on one side, frowning on the other) works whether "Getaway Car" makes you think of Tom Hiddleston or Karlie Kloss!

2023-07-22 16.28.01
Here I am in line. I loved that purple cat bracelet, which someone traded to me at the stadium, but a younger girl saw it and really wanted it, so I let her have it since I'd made...

2023-07-17 12.09.23
...tiger eye bracelets with silver cat beads because Taylor was in Cats and wrote the closing credits song with Andrew Lloyd Webber, and I kept the set!

No comments: