Sunday, December 07, 2003

Perfect Snow Day

So since we could drive out of the neighborhood, but couldn't go hiking or visiting in-laws at an hour's drive away, we went to the movies. And it's official: I am utterly smitten. Because most movies fall apart for me on the fourth viewing, when the dragging parts really drag and the little errors start to look glaringly obvious. The fourth viewing of TTT was when I realized the Treebeard subplot seemed quite bungled to me, because the scenes dragged interminably and I had no idea what they were there for except to give Merry and Pippin screen time (the environmental impact of that entire storyline seemed absent to me until the EE).

If there are glaring "errors" in Master and Commander, I don't know where. There are things that stretch my credulity -- the amount of lumber and paint the ship seems to be carrying, the quantity of nonessential clothing -- and I know that bookverse fans decry this movie, like the LOTR films, for having changed a hundred little things and several big ones. But as with FOTR, my points of comparison with bookverse are after the fact and entirely forgivable.

I totally fucking love this movie.

To make my day even better, my older son decided that he'd rather go out for Thai food (in the same complex) than eat junk in the movies. So instead of nachos and candy at the movies, we had chicken panang and some kind of spicy shrimp dish afterward. And I am delightfully full and content.


Aragorn is NOT afraid of Ringwraiths.

No comments: