Sunday, December 21, 2003

Poem for Sunday


Pleasures
By Radmila Lazic
Translated from the Serbian by Charles Simic


A few verses.
A few lines about poetry.
A few sips down the throat
Of something thick and bitter.
The evening lowers its weary bones.
Memory. Silence.
The barely audible tick-tack.
If only there was a summer shower.
My head next to someone's navel. Yes!

--------

From today's Poet's Choice by Edward Hirsch in The Washington Post, on Lazic's A Wake for the Living, in which the poet, who "writes as a feminist with a dark sense of humor and a surreal imagination," declares, "'Life is candied fruit and vinegar.'"


Salvation. for the might-have-been challenge. I wrote about Gollum, Frodo and Sam -- surely a first for me. ROTK ending spoilers.

Speaking of which, we are taking the kids to see ROTK at two. Must go work on TrekToday now. Back tonight. Last night's family party ended up being a real joy -- it was a distant cousin's 50th birthday and the tributes to her were beautiful, her husband and kids (all of whom have done theater for years and have beautiful voices) sang, and I got to see relatives I see far too rarely. I also got to eat creme brulee and chocolate bread pudding. No one diets in December, right?

Happy birthday ! And , thank you so much for my present! It's beautiful (those are my very favorite colors) and I am so very much in awe of your talents...the card too!

Gacked from because my children noticed it over my shoulder and made me do it:

I AM MAI!!!

No comments: