Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Poem for Wednesday


Curriculum Vitae
By Anthony Hecht


As though it were reluctant to be day,
       Morning deploys a scale
       Of rarities in gray,
And winter settles down in its chain-mail,

Victorious over legions of gold and red.
       The smokey souls of stones,
       Blunt pencillings of lead,
Pare down the world to glintless monotones

Of graveyard weather, vapors of a fen
       We reckon through our pores.
       Save for the garbage men,
Our children are the first ones out of doors.

Book-bagged and padded out, at mouth and nose
       They manufacture ghosts,
       George Washington's and Poe's,
Banquo's, the Union and Confederate hosts',

And are themselves the ghosts, file cabinet gray,
       Of some departed us,
       Signing our lives away
On ferned and parslied windows of a bus.

--------


Thank you all so much for the vibes and wishes yesterday -- wow, I feel so loved. And I also feel somewhat foolish freaking out that much about a little earthquake. But this confirms for me that much as I love visiting California, I would never ever consider moving there. I can't even go into underground parking lots while visiting relatives in L.A.!

Gacked from , who got the same result:

YOU ARE KARAMEL SUTRA!
YOU'RE KARAMEL SUTRA!
Which flavor of Ben n' Jerry's ice cream are you?
brought to you by Quizilla


Gacked from , who also got the same result -- I am so like my friends!

maine
Maine is your state. It's pretty and nice and
quiet and not crowded. I love Maine, so do
you.
What State Is Perfect For You?
brought to you by Quizilla


And gacked from , who thankfully did not get the same result, this nearly made me cry before I started giggling...

gender nazi
You are a Gender Nazi. Your boundary-crossing
lifestyle inspires awe in your friends and
colleagues. Or maybe they're just scared you
will kick their asses for using gender-specific
language. Either way, the wife-beater helps.
What kind of postmodernist are you!?
brought to you by Quizilla


Not posting the kinky quiz because I am so not a riding crop. Even though I have one.


has illustrated Aragorn and Boromir snuggling from the picture I posted yesterday! {{{hugs Jommy}}}


Yesterday's snuggle picture from a different angle.

No comments: