Friday, April 16, 2004

Poem for Friday


The Innocence of Any Flesh Sleeping
By Brian Patten


Sleeping beside you I dreamt
I woke beside you;
Waking beside you
I thought I was dreaming.

Have you ever slept beside an ocean?
Well yes,
It is like this.

The whole motion of landscapes, of oceans
Is within her.
She is
The innocence of any flesh sleeping,
So vulnerable
No protection is needed.

In such times
The heart opens,
Contains all there is,
There being no more than her.

In what country she is
I cannot tell.
But knowing – because there is love
And it blots out all demons –
She is safe,
I can turn,
Sleep well beside her.

Waking beside her I am dreaming.
Dreaming of such wakings
I am all love’s senses woken.

--------


Last night and I were trying to come up with a list of songs to which it is impossible to stay in a bad mood while listening. The ones that never fail me -- and yes, I know how BAD these are -- are the Village People's "Y.M.C.A.", Starship's "We Built This City", Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You", The Hooters' "And We Danced", and Farnham's "Angels"...at least I think those are my top 5. reminded me of "Rock Me Amadeus", "You Shook Me All Night Long", "Take a Chance On Me", "Let's Get it On" and one I should have had on my list already, "She Bop" -- also, we agreed on anything by They Might Be Giants or "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"-era Beatles. (Also I realized that when there is enough Remus Lupin footage I want a vid to "Hungry Like the Wolf.")

So...anyone got any recs of music to which it is impossible to stay in a bad mood while listening? NOT deep. NOT lyrically uplifting. The Bangles' "Eternal Flame" is fine. So is Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go." That kind of stuff.

Friday Five and are not updated yet so I'll do those later. is coming and I have not showered yet!

And I rarely read Smallville anymore, being both behind on and annoyed with the show, but made my morning with "Happiness Is Big Gay Obsession". Because sometimes fic like that is the bread and wine.

No comments: