Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Poem for Thursday


From Julius Caesar Act III Scene I
By William Shakespeare


I could be well mov’d if I were as you;
If I could pray to move, prayers would move me;
But I am constant as the northern star,
Of whose true-fix’d and resting quality
There is no fellow in the firmament.
The skies are painted with unnumber’d sparks,
They are all fire and every one doth shine,
But there’s but one in all doth hold his place:
So, in the world; ’tis furnish’d well with men,
And men are flesh and blood, and apprehensive;
Yet in the number I do know but one
That unassailable holds on his rank,
Unshak’d of motion: and that I am he,
Let me a little show it, even in this,
That I was constant Cimber should be banish’d,
And constant do remain to keep him so.

--------

I did not realize until National Public Radio told me Wednesday morning that it was the 2050th anniversary of Julius Caesar's assassination. That seems to demand commemoration, even a day late!


I was listening to NPR on the way to the orthodontist with younger son, who had to have three brackets glued into place. Because of this, he could only eat soft foods today, and the school lunch (French bread pizza) to which he had been looking forward was no longer an option. So I took him to the food store, where he rejected every conceivable lunch (chili, yogurt, turkey stew, Spaghetti-Os, noodle soup, macaroni and cheese, etc.) and finally asked for hummus and a spoon! Once I finally took him to school, I wrote articles on Ron Moore and Scott Bakula, tried to make some headway in overdue comments and returned a bunch of phone calls.

In the evening I went with older son to his first Bar Mitzvah tutoring session; he can already chant all the major prayers and was excited to get his Torah portion -- the cantor records an audio CD with the Torah and Haftorah (Deuteronomy 28, Isaiah 60) and he gets a multi-colored printout with the chanting marks and notations. I am nervous about chanting in front of all those people, but he is totally calm and confident at this point; he's an excellent Hebrew student and in chorus at school so none of this fazes him.

My father is at home, sore, but apparently doing well. He is going to see a couple of doctors next week, I guess, to see if they can figure out the best course of action, but he still has his gall bladder right now and his pancreas seems fine other than still having diabetes, knock wood! I saw my mother briefly as my sister and brother in law sent some DVDs for us back with them. Tomorrow I need to call my sister and thank her. Oh, and speaking of movies, Russell Crowe was on the HMS Surprise the other day and was overheard to say that a Master and Commander sequel might be in the works! That would make me so happy!


The octopus in the invertebrate house at the National Zoo. Because look at that face!


From the front, sprawling.


And here's a rear -- err -- bottom view.


Tonight we've been watching Monty Python's Personal Best and Visions of England which is making me really, really want to be there ASAP. Tomorrow I have a very, very early morning as hubby has an early meeting so I have to get the kids out myself! Waah! To bed!

No comments: