Friday, March 26, 2010

Poem for Friday and Orchids

Sandy Hook
By Meghan O'Rourke


The fire burned my cousin here.
First in his bed in the bungalow garage.
Then at the lock, scratching in fear.
Quick, quick. The trundle bed
burned. The violin, unpracticed, burned.
The keys of the body, burned. Yellow, red,
the turning leaves. The burning
thing, ablaze, a living shroud: smoke, air, bone,
a licking; then the carbonite no one looks at twice.
The instrument, delinquent with disuse.
Outside, the hooks of the waves twist
and desist, twist and insist,
like coats hung out beneath
the snailing clouds to dry.

--------

Hufflepants and I met for Greenberry frozen yogurt at the mall, browsed a bit in Hot Topic (too much Justin Bieber), Brighton (no new mini-spacers), and Bath & Body Works (I have plenty at home), then we came back to my house so I could give her some of my extra body spritzes and ended up watching The Princess and the Frog since she hadn't seen it and it's in my Disney Top Five. Then I took younger son to tennis, took a walk since it was gorgeous and flowers are in bloom in the neighborhood, and finished cleaning out my closet -- today it was t-shirts, of which I simply own too many (anyone want any XL Voyager cast, "I Wish I Knew How To Quit You," or well-used kids' size Harry Potter shirts with logos and stuff that you could probably cut off and repurpose for crafts, let me know).

We had leftover stir-fry and penne with ricotta and zucchini for dinner (still yummy), then watched FlashForward, which I liked better than last week despite the lack of Olivia -- I love Janis, I've been predicting since I think the second episode that Demetri would father her baby and I stand by that -- Zoey, who is really pissing me off (if she were a man and he were a woman and there was this little paternalistic respect for the other's wishes in evidence, I'd find it outrageous, and it's no better with the roles reversed) may get to cry with his parents at the memorial service, but I think Janis will be having his baby and that's one reason she's so emotional at the sonogram, and I can't help rooting for Lloyd in the competition for Olivia because I haven't seen a lot of evidence that Mark cares about anyone more than Mark, though I think it would be awesome if it turned out they all misinterpreted their visions and it's actually Mark and Lloyd who end up together, or better yet all three of them.

Then we watched Next Gen's "Ship in a Bottle" which I need to review on Friday, and both kids paid attention, just as they did watching "Chain of Command" two weeks ago; often when we put things on the TV I feel like they're only barely watching, but they were actually talking about the episode in their Gmail statuses and blogs, so they must have really liked it. Yay! Here are some orchids from Brookside's orchid sale last weekend and from the greenhouses a few weeks earlier:

















Bye-bye Syracuse! And farewell Robert Culp.

No comments: