Sunday, June 08, 2003

Poem for Sunday


From "To the Moon"
By Percy Bysshe Shelley


Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing Heaven, and gazing on the earth,
Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth--
And ever changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

--------


The wonderful and awesome provides these still and moving captures from Caravaggio! Go worship her!

Am getting ready for my younger son's birthday party (my son's actual birthday is at the end of July, but everyone is always out of town for his party...and this year we will be out of town as well!) He wanted to do rock climbing, so since none of us know much about belaying, especially with seven-year-olds, we are having the party at a climbing gym with 15 little boys. This is the first all-boys party, and I am feeling grateful that I do not have a daughter who wants a hair-and-nails party as one of my friends does, because I know less about french manicures than I do about climbing.

Despite the torrential rain yesterday, most of the kids went into the outdoor pool at my older son's class end-of-year party, at the home of one of the families of a girl in his class. It was also a wedding shower of sorts for his teacher, who is getting married in a couple of weeks, so it was quite festive and there was a ton of food despite it not being a luncheon party. This is a very diverse school with people from all over the world -- we live in a really wonderful public school district in that regard -- so there were lots of interesting conversations about travel and politics as well as the usual What Are You Doing On Your Summer Vacation chat.

I came home and had to write three articles last night. My husband made my son's Yu-Gi-Oh cake and organized party favors so I would just like to note that the man is a saint. Though we just realized that neither of us sent his parents an anniversary card, and the day's tomorrow. Oops!

From via , The Desert Island Meme:
1. Which ocean are you in the middle of?

Pacific, out of monsoon zone, someplace warm but preferably not equatorial.
2. You're allowed one companion. Who is it?
My husband. That's pretty neat, I guess, that I would take my husband to my desert island.
3. What three movies would you have with you?
THREE? Aggh! Amadeus, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Joe vs. the Volcano (desert island!). But ask me tomorrow and this list may be modified.
4. What three books would you have with you?
I guess The Complete Works of William Shakespeare is cheating? The Bible, The Mists of Avalon and I Was Amelia Earhart (look, if I'm on a desert island, I want my desert island reading, too). I can recite a lot of poetry I really love from memory, which is why there isn't any on this list.
5. Three music CDs you'd have?
Beethoven's Ninth Symphony conducted by Bernstein, Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits and Saturday Night Fever.
6. You have a neverending supply of one meal and one beverage. What are they?
Chicken satay and sweetened iced Earl Grey tea.

No comments: