Monday, March 18, 2013

Poem for Monday and Piscataway Park

To My Quick Ear the Leaves Conferred
By Emily Dickinson

To my quick ear the leaves conferred;
  The bushes they were bells;
I could not find a privacy
  From Nature’s sentinels.

In cave if I presumed to hide,
  The walls began to tell;
Creation seemed a mighty crack
  To make me visible.

--------

Sunday was cooler and more drizzly than Saturday, but we got no serious rain (nor wintery mix, which is predicted for tomorrow along with up to an inch of snow, ugh -- not after the daffodils are up!). We went to the National Colonial Farm at Piscataway National Park in Accokeek, where it was misty but not very cold. We arrived just at feeding time, so we got to hear the sheep and lambs baaing for all they're worth, plus the pigs, cows, chickens, turkeys, and easily a hundred interloper Canada geese who've decided the cow pastures are a great place to live. The park is just across the Potomac River from the back of Mount Vernon, so we got to see that, too.

















We were bummed that the Terps did not get an NCAA tournament invitation (they'll play in the NIT, hosting Niagara on Tuesday in College Park). I have no idea who I want to win the championship; it's easier for me to say who I don't want to win (how did Duke get the same seed as Miami when Miami won the ACC tournament)! Paul made Guinness stew for St. Patrick's Day, which we took to my parents' for dinner. Then we came home and watched Once Upon a Time, which was more enjoyable this week, and Equilibrium, which I was in the mood for because of Christian Bale as a stern, law-obsessed policeman stalking a man who turns out to be a criminal. *coughs*

No comments: