Friday, March 07, 2014

Poem for Friday and Botanic Garden Cacti

There's a certain Slant of light
By Emily Dickinson

There's a certain Slant of light,
Winter Afternoons –
That oppresses, like the Heft
Of Cathedral Tunes –

Heavenly Hurt, it gives us –
We can find no scar,
But internal difference,
Where the Meanings, are –

None may teach it – Any –
'Tis the Seal Despair –
An imperial affliction
Sent us of the Air –

When it comes, the Landscape listens –
Shadows – hold their breath –
When it goes, 'tis like the Distance
On the look of Death –

--------

My morning was busy and boring. My early afternoon involved waiting for a delivery person so I could refuse the delivery. My mid afternoon required that I go shopping at the mall, which did not have two out of three items I went to find. My late afternoon took me to Adam's school to retrieve him from spring track trials (he made the team) and to see his art exhibit (very impressive).

Apart from peanut soup for dinner, my evening sucked for reasons too stupid to discuss. My night was improved by watching Ralph Fiennes, Gerard Butler, and Jessica Chastain in Coriolanus, then watching Elementary. Since I am feeling prickly, here are some photos of cacti from the US Botanic Garden last weekend:









No comments: