Saturday, December 24, 2016

Poem for Saturday, Retrospect, Washingtonian

Moonless Darkness Stands Between
By Gerard Manley Hopkins

Moonless darkness stands between.
Past, the Past, no more be seen!
But the Bethlehem-star may lead me
To the sight of Him Who freed me
From the self that I have been.
Make me pure, Lord: Thou art holy;
Make me meek, Lord: Thou wert lowly;
Now beginning, and alway:
Now begin, on Christmas day.

--------

I had to work on Friday, as did Daniel and Paul, but I managed to spend plenty of time with my kids around that. Adam started the day at his friend Kevin's overnight movie marathon; the rest of us ate breakfast together around our computers, and I finished my still-ragey-after-all-these-years review of Voyager's "Retrospect". Eventually we picked up Adam and we all watched the first couple of episodes of the second season of The Man in the High Castle, since we'd all watched the first season together last winter while they were here.

Then we met all four Helgesens at California Pizza Kitchen, where I got Tuscan hummus plus the free dessert to which I was entitled for my birthday -- chocolate souffle. Despite having a sore foot because of something I managed to do to it while trying not to step on a cat who went zooming out of the kitchen after dumping over her water bowl, I dragged my family to Charming Charlie to use the coupon I had for that and got a sparkly birthday bracelet. Now we're watching some more Man in the High Castle while Paul makes holiday cookies.








No comments: