Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Poem for Monday and Christmas Weekend

Before the ice is in the pools 
By Emily Dickinson 

Before the ice is in the pools,
      Before the skaters go,
Or any cheek at nightfall
      Is tarnished by the snow,

Before the fields have finished,
      Before the Christmas tree,
Wonder upon wonder
      Will arrive to me!

What we touch the hems of
      On a summer’s day;
What is only walking
      Just a bridge away;

That which sings so, speaks so,
      When there’s no one here,—
Will the frock I wept in
      Answer me to wear?

-------- 

Apart from a family Zoom chat with my parents, Paul's parents, both his brothers, and several of the grandkids, most of my Christmas was devoted to entertainment. In the morning, we watched the Doctor Who Christmas special, which was very enjoyable -- fantasy, musical, mystery! We had Swedish meatballs for lunch while watching the Raiders-Chiefs game before we chatted with relatives (I didn't care about that game, but the Ravens had a great evening against the 49ers, which made me happy). 

We went to see Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, which I enjoyed even more than I was expecting. Fine, it was loud, busy, overall predictable and I wish there had been more Atlanna and Mera, plus more pretty underwater Atlantis scenes without huge battles in the way, and several of my favorite bits were pillaged from The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Iron Man. But if the first movie was Wet Thor, then this one is Wet Thor: Ragnarok, and I loved those aspects so much that all else is forgiven! 

We watched tonight's What If...? episode with Cheryl (Tony being so Tony and Jeff Goldblum being so Jeff Goldblum with a Hot Wheels racetrack, plus Valkyrie, yay). Then we watched the most recent Reacher episode (still too violent for my taste), and now we're watching Asteroid City, which is even stranger than usual for Wes Anderson -- quite meta, a lot of scenes about acting and photography making obvious references to metaphors for acting and photography, with a great cast. Holiday photos:

2023-12-24 18.46.06

2023-12-24 12.22.15

2023-12-21 12.34.27

2023-12-18 16.31.37

2023-12-25 12.38.03

2023-12-25 15.15.06

2023-12-25 17.54.34

No comments: