Friday, October 15, 2010

Poem for Friday and Longwood Highlights

Somewhere Else
By Matthew Shenoda


It is here on this ridge
exposed to the orange dusk
of mountain autumn
that the story begins.

Buck wood for the stove
feel the heat of shoulder to tendon
greet the mule deer
and water the garden again.

In rhythm, with song
when the ax begins to blend with wind
carry on to warmer days
on the river’s open banks
where the fervor of healing is found in water.
Flow from one origin to another--
there is never a place where we cannot begin
where the current is ancient, the wind is young
teaching each other like the ax and the wood.

Carve a place for dignity
plant a seed and pray for rain
for sun
for understanding outside your self.

There will come a day when they say:
who do you think you are
and another day will come
for you to tell.

On that day the story will appear
but do not tell of yourself

tell the story of the staff that blossomed in the desert
or the one about your enemy’s greatest victory

tell the story of somewhere else

--------

I spent most of my Thursday morning working on the Star Trek: The Next Generation review I'd normally be doing on Friday, but my kids have no school and my husband is taking the day off, so since we're going out to enjoy the fall while the weather is good, I needed to get it done early. Unfortunately the episode was "Sub Rosa," which was just as horrible as I had remembered -- it's just as well my kids didn't watch this one with me! At least I had leftover CPK Thai peanut pizza from Wednesday, and cats to keep my lap warm -- they were not at all pleased about the cold, rainy weather.

I went to visit Rose in the afternoon to give her a copy of the Shutterfly book I made about the baby bird Adam rescued and she rehabilitated; we talked for a while about animals and photography, then I came home to see whether Daniel needed a ride home from school after his math test, since he was afraid he'd miss the bus (though he didn't). The rain eventually stopped and I took a walk after dinner, which we ate early because Daniel was going to Kay's house to finish up testing for the project he was working on with her husband over the summer. We watched $%*! My Dad Says, which had the priceless scene of William Shatner singing karaoke "I'm Too Sexy," then we rewatched the Nikita pilot because we didn't know it would be a rerun, and eventually we watched Oprah making Colbert give Stewart his mojo back.


The miniature Garden Railway in the Idea Garden at Longwood Gardens.


One of the flowers along the alley of the Flower Garden walk.


Here I am with Dementordelta in the central gardens...


...and here we are by the snake fountain in the lower part of the gardens.


The Main Fountain Garden show (there is music too).


The gazebo by the lake in Pierce's Woods...


...and the view through the open dome.


And here I am with a giant gourd in the Curious Cucurbits & Monster Pumpkins display.

No comments: