Sunday, May 22, 2011

Poem for Sunday, POTC4, Market, New Car

Absence
By Luljeta Lleshanaku
Translated by Henry Israeli


The moon
nicotine of a kiss...

A sideways glance
like the mast of a pirate ship
beyond a distant island

--------

I just wrote a long, detailed, analytical post about my day, which began with a 10 a.m. IMAX 3-D showing of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in Silver Spring after wandering through the Fenton Street Market, and ended with a burrito and Doctor Who after 8 p.m. after taking Daniel to a party and buying a Toyota Corolla in the middle. LiveJournal, in its infinite effing wisdom, logged me out when I hit Save Entry and ate the entire post. So here is the very short version:

POTC4: I enjoyed it, especially Jack and Hector's old-married-couple routine (and Barbossa eating apples with his dainty little fork) as well as some very witty lines and all the scenes in London. But I really disliked the sexual politics, even the cameo with one of my favorite actresses, and I missed Elizabeth Swann terribly. The first three films for me were entirely about the girl who ran away to sea and ended up a pirate king -- never a daddy's girl and ultimately less concerned about getting a boy than leading a revolution. And she definitely never had to be netted, stabbed, or saved by a nice Christian for her wicked sexy ways.

Car: We were looking at the Nissan Versa and Toyota Yaris for financial reasons, but we ended up getting a silver Toyota Corolla on which we got a great rate and with which we are very happy. We had a Corolla from 1988-2001 that was a great car and our working minivan is a Sienna, and we really like the local dealership/service, which managed to track down the color and features we wanted locally while we were looking over the paperwork and crunching the numbers.

Evening: Rushed since Daniel went to an end-of-year soiree at his calculus teacher's home across the county. We eventually retrieved him and went to California Tortilla for dinner since it was after 8 p.m. I was unimpressed with Doctor Who once I saw how derivative it was of much better science fiction; then I saw the bit of Confidential on BBC America during the break, about how Rory needs to be a hero to feel like a man, and stopped caring altogether. I am just going to come out and say that Eleven and Moffat can both go away any time.

I must note how overjoyed I was to see Snape five times in the IMAX preview for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two. And I must squee about the adorable clay animal beads I bought for $1 each at the market in Silver Spring. Here are a few photos of the market, the movie theater, and the new car:















Congratulations everyone on surviving the Rapture!

No comments: