Sunday, October 07, 2012

Poem for Sunday and Agricultural History Farm Park

In This Light
By Matt Hart

nothing and nothing
gets by you, but I get
so distracted
that my notice
has been put on notice
for birds and for traffic
For instance,
the constant
slap of the sound
of waves
against gutters
gets by me
Grass stain on my hands
from falling down
at the hospital
gets by me Physics
Sequined dresses
The Olympics get by me
Meanwhile,
the mountains are,
so far, only distant,
and some days
I am even making my way
through them
with my pants on,
which is lucky,
though at other junctures
sunflowers and pine tree
needles my arms
in full blossom
as you appear
around a corner
kaleidoscopically
The day looking up
between us
pink clouds

--------

Saturday was one of those insanely beautiful fall days -- maples starting to turn red, oaks starting to turn gold, warm in the sun, cool in the shade, partially overcast with bursts of sun -- that it would have been a waste not to spend it outdoors. Adam had cross country practice in the morning, so after lunch we went to Montgomery County's Agricultural History Farm Park, which was having its fall harvest festival, with live music and craft vendors and sack races and herding demonstrations and all the animals that live on the farm:

















We were going to watch Winter's Bone in the evening but I was just not in the mood for something that depressing, so since had not seen it, we watched A Dangerous Method instead. I still have some issues with how Spielrein is characterized but on second viewing I think the film is slyly critical of both Freud and Jung in all sorts of ways that it is sympathetic to her -- we keep seeing them steal pieces of her work while turning her back into a patient rather than a colleague when they need to feel dominant.

No comments: