Sunday, July 14, 2013

Poem for Sunday and Kenilworth Gardens Festival

Tableau
By Countee Cullen

Locked arm in arm they cross the way
The black boy and the white,
The golden splendor of the day
The sable pride of night.

From lowered blinds the dark folk stare
And here the fair folk talk,
Indignant that these two should dare
In unison to walk.

Oblivious to look and word
They pass, and see no wonder
That lightning brilliant as a sword
Should blaze the path of thunder.

--------

I had a nice day until about 10 p.m., but if I start talking in detail about either the Texas Senate or the Zimmerman trial, I will be ranting for hours -- I'm already not sure I'll ever get to sleep given my angry adrenaline level (I don't tend to cry over political or social events, I get furious instead).

So I will just report that my day consisted in large part of taking Adam to and from Glen Echo, watching Brazil with the family in the evening, and going to the Lotus & Water Lily Festival at the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, where the theme this year was flowers as cultural icons from Asia and Africa:
















No comments: