Monday, June 05, 2017

Poem for Monday, Virginia Renaissance Faire, Contact

Love
By George Herbert

Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack,
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,
If I lack'd anything.

A guest, I answer'd, worthy to be here:
Love said, You shall be he.
I the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear,
I cannot look on thee.
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
Who made the eyes but I?

Truth Lord, but I have marr'd them: let my shame
Go where it doth deserve.
And know you not, says Love, who bore the blame?
My dear, then I will serve.
You must sit down, says Love, and tast me meat:
So I did sit and eat.

--------

Adam went hiking and to a party with a friend on Sunday, so while he was busy with his own plans, we went to meet Cheryl and Lin at the Virginia Renaissance Faire. Most of us had crepes there for lunch (mine was pear and brie), and we watched some jousting, saw some dancing, listened to the Rogues, applauded some juggling, flirted with a "priest" and members of the Royal Court, curtseyed to the Queen, cuddled rescued kittens, met rescued greyhounds, admired alpacas, tried on fancy headwear, bought a couple of trinkets, tasted tea, and only got a bit sunburned:

17varf4

17varf3

17varf7

17varf5

17varf8

17varf2

17varf6

17varf1

When we left the Faire, we drove to Fredericksburg for dinner at Mexico, our favorite restaurant in Richmond which now has a place open further north! Then Cheryl and Lin headed south and we headed north, getting home just before Adam, who had had dinner at the party. Since Paul and I had never seen it and son barely remembered it, we decided to watch Contact. I'm not much of a Jodie Foster fan -- she plays anger and misery well but not joy or wonder, so her movies tend to feel either dark or miscast -- but I appreciated her fury here over both mansplaining and scientific denial!

No comments: