Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Poem for Wednesday and Brookside Turtles

Complaint
By William Carlos Williams

They call me and I go.
It is a frozen road
past midnight, a dust
of snow caught
in the rigid wheeltracks.
The door opens.
I smile, enter and
shake off the cold.
Here is a great woman
on her side in the bed.
She is sick,
perhaps vomiting,
perhaps laboring
to give birth to
a tenth child. Joy! Joy!
Night is a room
darkened for lovers,
through the jalousies the sun
has sent one golden needle!
I pick the hair from her eyes
and watch her misery
with compassion.

--------

Happy Spring! And Happy Nowruz, if you celebrate -- Paul made kabobs for dinner in honor of the Persian new year. I spent the morning working while Daniel once again slept till nearly noon, then I had lunch with him, then Adam came home and I took him to the bank to open a checking account and get a debit card so he can sell his photographs on various online sites. Right now the bank will only let me put my name on as custodian since there was only a spot for one parent...I must admit that since Capital One bought Chevy Chase, I have felt like the people in that commercial where the guy feels like his family has been exchanged and I am looking into other banking options for our family.

Then I took Adam to tennis, where it's a new session and he has only two other boys in his class, which is great, practically a semi-private lesson every week. I took a walk in the park and saw many excited squirrels and birds but no deer this time. Daniel is engrossed in a Skies of Arcadia replay and the rest of us watched Ringer (go Juliet, go Henry, shut up Siobhan), then this week's Once Upon a Time which we have to watch late because if I must choose between that and Harry's Law when they air, I am going to watch the one that isn't On Demand. Here are some of the many turtles we saw at Brookside Gardens last weekend (spot the underwater giant snapper head and claw):















No comments: